Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

cooltech gatemount is better than i imagined.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooltech gatemount is better than i imagined.

i mounted the cooltech gatemount on my 2012 jk and i intend to use it for both 2 meters and cb using the firestick antennas.

i mounted the 3ft antenna and the height was fine and allowed me to get in and out of our garage.

the problem was a 4 ft firestick was to tall and the 2 meter firestik is actually a little taller.

well the genius in the gatemount is by flipping it upside down it lowers the antenna by 7 inches or so. that gave me the clearence to use either a 4ft firestick or a 2 meter antenna in the 4ft range..

very nice design cooltech ,whether you planned it that way or not.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-24-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed that is a handy and versatile mount. Their Web site does now pics with the L on top and bottom. I use mine for VHF...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	215256  
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two of these. One for my 4 foot Wilson Flex CB antenna, and one for my VHF/UHF multiband antenna. I've been running them for over two years now, and they're rock solid.

The other thing that I found is that they seem to provide a pretty solid RF ground. (if such a thing can be found on a soft top Jeep without mounting to the center of your hood) CB performance pretty much is what it is....but I've found that with the 50 watts that my VHF/UHF unit pushes, I can get into repeaters with something very close to full quieting from areas that are generally considered "fringe" for mobiles...or even a little bit beyond that.

Quick Reply: cooltech gatemount is better than i imagined.