Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

In-Dash CB install

Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-Dash CB install

Hello..
My Jeep (2010) has the stock radio in-place. It takes up the whole space in the dash, as you all know. I read that a "standard" am/fm after-market radio measures "1 DIN". The space the original stock radio takes up is 2 DIN. Has anyone mounted an after market radio AND a CB in this space? If so, any photoss or ideas on how to mount both? How did you cover the "extra spaces", that may be left over?
Thanks, Lou
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There won't be any space or open holes in the dash if you install a Single-DIN H/U and a CB. The front of the factory H/U is Double-DIN. The rear of it is larger than Single-DIN but smaller than Double-DIN. There is a metal brace that has ot be cut in order to fit a Double-DIN H/U. You would have to get a H/U mount bracket, Single DIN H/U and CB. After you remove the factory H/U you would cut the brace in the back of the dash and then install everything.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, it is a VERY tight space behind the radio.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed both in the space of the OEM radio.

I was only able to find one CB that is 1 DIN in size (the Cobra 18WX). I ordered the new head unit and a double DIN dash trim from Crutchfield. The mounting was straight forward but you will need to remove the dash bar (the same piece the double DIN radio install state).
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NorthGAX

I was only able to find one CB that is 1 DIN in size (the Cobra 18WX). I ordered the new head unit and a double DIN dash trim from Crutchfield. The mounting was straight forward but you will need to remove the dash bar (the same piece the double DIN radio install state).
Good thing that Cobra has a front facing speaker. If not I guess you could wire up an external. Looks real nice.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you just by a regular Double DIN mount? Cause when searching for the jeep it pulls up a single DIN, but there are Double DIN's for other vehicles... which one did you find that mounted well?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Seriously thinking of going this route...Nice job on the install!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I have met with a couple of people who have a similar setup. Also, chatted with an advisor at Crutchfield that was able to make suggestions about the radios and accessories that worked well. They sell a, supposedly, easy to install bracket for a double DIN that should make it all fit easily with the right CB. I picked up a Cobra 18WX and am just waiting on the $ to get the stereo setup.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthGAX

VERY COOL SETUP !!! Good job
Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

love the set up.

Quick Reply: In-Dash CB install