Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Edumacate me on CB's Please...

Old 12-18-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edumacate me on CB's Please...

I had pretty much settled on a Cobra 75 WXST to replace my severely-aged CB, I love the behind dash install and remote connector box. But I realized that a CB isn't something I regularly need in the JK, and that one of the Midland hand-helds might be better for my use. I understand range, etc, but what really makes one CB worth $40 and the next $85 and a third $120? Locally, a lot of the people I know have a combination CB/VHF unit (SW Florida is BIG on boating...), any advantage there on a normal Jeep trail ride?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its just like anything else out there you'd buy, you're paying for quality or brand name etc...

I mean the only reason the 75WXST is the price it is, is because its the prius of cb's - all trendy and compact and whatnot. I love my 75WXST, but its performance is about the same as a $30 model, if not worse. Some of the higher end CBs have better components on the inside..its like buying a panasonic vs a denon stereo receiver - you get the picture.

For trail use, which is all I use mine for, the 75WXST is hard to beat and well worth the cost. But if cost is an issue, just get el cheapo and you'll be fine. As long as it is tuned, it'll work just fine.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
For trail use, which is all I use mine for, the 75WXST is hard to beat and well worth the cost. But if cost is an issue, just get el cheapo and you'll be fine. As long as it is tuned, it'll work just fine.
I've been looking at this one for a while now. I think you just made up my mind for me.
What's the word on an antenna?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Firestik

I have a 4' Firestik and it's been great. They have 3' ones as well. I know David @ Northridge4x4 has a package deal (at least when i got mine) where the antenna, cable and an external speaker comes with the Cobra CB.
Sweet!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
picking one up tomorrow!
If you find a good deal, let me know. I was looking on line and the prices are all over the place!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 AM
JK Freak

Does anyone have the Uniden Bearcat Pro 520XL its a pretty good price $50 and I would only use it when I,m out wheeling?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Corbra 75, but my cable was bad from my antenna, but I should have another one in my mail box today. I ran a mic cable extension so that I could just drill a small 3/8" hole in my lower dash panel so it would be easy to put on, but still a clean looking install.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Cobra 75 and I like it alot. I like that I can take it in/out of my jeep when I want. I use it on the trail and the road and it has not fail me. This is where I installed mine.

This is the antenna mount that I bought off Ebay (not my jeep in the picture)

Have a Firestik II antenna. I have a soft top and do not have any problems transmitting or receiving.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Like someone said in an earlier post CB units all do the same thing. The range all depends on the antenna set-up you run from the unit. As far as price differences on units, well price goes up with added features. My CB for instance has Blue tooth, Dynamike, RF gain, Bright/ Dim option, Noise Blanker, SWR/CAL, and a few others... it's all in what you are using the CB for.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a small Uniden (510xl pro maybe?) that I have had for years and just got a 4' firestick antenna. I am struggling with where to mount everything even after all the searches.

I have sampled the tunnel mount option next to the shifter, but don't like it sitting there in the open, although CB's probably aren't as desirable as they once were to thieves. I looked at mounting it inside the console, but there is precious little storage in these things already. That is still my favorite possibility since the unit fits provided I drill a hole in the bottom for the antenna cable to come into it.

Then the antenna, the magnetic just didn't work too well on the Freedom top, so now the firestick. I was thinking of bumper mount, license plate holder, and spare tire. My problem is I want it to be somewhat effective, but can't be too high to go into the garage (especially when I install my 2.5" lift here soon).

Oh the frustrations of owning stuff......so many options.

Quick Reply: Edumacate me on CB's Please...