Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Field Day 2010

Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We came very close to a clean sweep this year at field day. We missed Ct, AK, and a couple of Canadian provinces. I was very surprised we did not work AK. I operated the digital station for 115 contacts, don't want to touch PSK for a while. lol Our total count was around 640 contacts and I think around 500 bonus points. I need to submit the log and I will know for sure.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I passed my tech

Well our field day was small, but I only missed one on my tech test but missed 14 on my general so will need to practice up to take that one again. Now I am wondering what radio, I want one to get started, I don't have any idea which freq to listen to. But I will join our local club and figure it all out. Thanks for any info on a cheap radio and antenna for a mobile, I dont want a handheld I dont think, not yet.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wxjeep
We came very close to a clean sweep this year at field day. We missed Ct, AK, and a couple of Canadian provinces. I was very surprised we did not work AK. I operated the digital station for 115 contacts, don't want to touch PSK for a while. lol Our total count was around 640 contacts and I think around 500 bonus points. I need to submit the log and I will know for sure.
Oh darn.......I did indeed hear at least one NM station, have to wonder now if it was you? I remember the signal was pretty down in the noise. Guess I should have tried anyway....
Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Highlander
Well our field day was small, but I only missed one on my tech test but missed 14 on my general so will need to practice up to take that one again. Now I am wondering what radio, I want one to get started, I don't have any idea which freq to listen to. But I will join our local club and figure it all out. Thanks for any info on a cheap radio and antenna for a mobile, I dont want a handheld I dont think, not yet.
Congrats on becoming a Tech.... As far as a radio goes, it all depends on what you want to do. If money is a consideration, and if you just want to get on the air asap, then when you join the radio club, be sure and ask around if somebody wants to sell a 2m mobile. More than likely somebody does. If not, or if you want to go new, you can get an Icom 2m mobile for less than $200. As far as antennas go, it's hard to beat a Larsen.

73 & Good Luck....!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

We had a good field day:
1. My FT-450 failed. So no digital contacts.
2. The heat index was 105 degrees.
3. Had a 2 hour thunderstorm Sat afternoon.
4. Had 14 operators share duty on 3 transmitters on generators.
825 total contacts 245 Phone 580 CW. I made 169 of the phone contacts.
We did not contact ID, SD or ME and NWT in Canada. We did operate on 160-10M.
Total score was 3660 with bonus points.
5. 4 brand new hams made some HF contacts.
6. Had plenty of food and ice cold drinks, thanks to our "field day gourmets".
7. Had a blast.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Highlander
Congrads on passing the exam.
As for radios, there are a couple of ham sites that have classified section you might check out.
One is EHam.net.
Doing a search for ham sites will show a bunch.

I agree with Dave on the Larson.
Iv got a Larson 2/70 on the front fender of the Jeep and it works great for me.

Quick Reply: Field Day 2010