Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Firestik antenna install quesiton

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestik antenna install quesiton

I am hoping someone will be able to help me get my parts list completed to install my firestik antenna. I purchased a 4ft firestik II tunable tip antenna from northridge to go along with my new LOD rear bumper. I have requested and been told that the antenna mount will be part of the tire carrier straight from LOD, so I will not need an aftermarket mount.

My question is what do I need to connect my antenna to my CB? I would like a quick disconnect to remove the antenna when not in use and a spring to provide some flexability for tree branches overhanging the trail. I am assuming I would need the Firestik K1A PUSH-N-TWIST Quick Disconnect and SS3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Spring for this.

Question 1: Can both the spring and quick disconnect be used together?

My bigger question is which cable is needed?
I believe I need a firering cable but the firestik website has a few different configurations. The more I read the more confused I get. I like the configureation of the 2-piece "ez-install" (MU-8r18) cable to route the cable through the jeep. But I don't know if the other cables are better suited for install (i.e. K4-R18 COAXIAL CABLE ASSEMBLY w/Low-Profile Fire-Ring and Stud or K-8R18 SINGLE ANTENNA COAX with PL-259/FireRing Termination).

Question 2: Which firering cable is needed or best?

Am I looking to much into this? are all of the cables the same with different accessories?

Any help would be appreciated! I would like to install it right the first time.

Here is the Firestik website for your reference... hxxp://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Thanks
Guppy
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default if you wanna do it right the first time...

take it to a shop or have a pro help you out

I would have saved a lot of money this way.
with that being said if you get the firering cable, make sure you get the appropriate firering stud-mount.

I'm not a big fan of proprietary stuff so I went with a standard stud and a standard cable.

After I tried 3 different antennas, the shop ended up having to go a totally different route on mine, I was chatting with a guy at 6 miles today, and I've received up to 10 with this baselaod antenna setup:

Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, unless you are using a FireRing mount, I would avoid the FireRing and just go with a standard stud mount with a pl-259 connector (looks just like end that connects to CB). I bought both the stud (Model: 21-961|Catalog #: 21-961) and cable ( Model: 278-967|Catalog #: 278-967) at radio shack for $18.

I ran into issues with the FireRing on my Teraflex mount as I was not able to get a good ground with the FireRing as the mount hole was slightly larger. I also have a 4ft Firestick ll and got fantastic results with the radio shack/firestick set up.

Last edited by dstock; 06-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input!!!!

Seems like I could save a bunch of frustration by not using the firering.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Dstock is correct. The fire rings are junk. I was told they are not in production any more. I think they are just selling the one that are made up already.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dstock
Personally, unless you are using a FireRing mount, I would avoid the FireRing and just go with a standard stud mount with a pl-259 connector (looks just like end that connects to CB). I bought both the stud (Model: 21-961|Catalog #: 21-961) and cable ( Model: 278-967|Catalog #: 278-967) at radio shack for $18.

I ran into issues with the FireRing on my Teraflex mount as I was not able to get a good ground with the FireRing as the mount hole was slightly larger. I also have a 4ft Firestick ll and got fantastic results with the radio shack/firestick set up.
I've got the Fire ring cable and then teraflex spare tire connector. I agree that the connection sucks ass with these two components together.

If I did it all over again I would have just purchased a standard coax cable.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guppy
Thanks for the input!!!!

Seems like I could save a bunch of frustration by not using the firering.
Always happy to help others learn from my mistakes!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just insalled the 4' firestik II and the guy at the Radio shop gave me some great pointers. 1st thing he said was where i had it mounted (to the license plate holder frame) was not good ... the mount itself yes but where it was mounted no. He told me that Ideal would be to have 2 thirds of the length of the antenna above the roofline of the Jeep. I didn't listen at first and no matter what I did to tune the antenna the swr was too high. So last night I moved the mount to the top of the 3rd brakelight. where i had the antenna lengthened to from the lic. mount was as close to perfect swr rating as could be gotten and works perfectly.

Last edited by Sporticon; 06-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
Just insalled the 4' firestik II and the guy at the Radio shop gave me some great pointers. 1st thing he said was where i had it mounted (to the license plate holder frame) was not good ... the mount itself yes but where it was mounted no. He told me that Ideal would be to have 2 thirds of the length of the antenna above the roofline of the Jeep. I didn't listen at first and no matter what I did to tune the antenna the swr was too high. So last night I moved the mount to the top of the 3rd brakelight. where i had the antenna lengthened to from the lic. mount was as close to perfect swr rating as could be gotten and works perfectly.
Good tip ... I haven't gotten my LOD bumper yet to know where the antenna mount will be. But I will keep this in mind once everything is here.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

The antenna mt that come with the Lod bumper will just about anywhere there is a hole. It is just a small L shaped bracket.

Quick Reply: Firestik antenna install quesiton