Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Firestik side mount w/ 5' antenna

Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestik side mount w/ 5' antenna

So I just picked up the Firestik side mount (non NGP) kit from RCR and they say the max length antenna is a 3'... I said screw it and went with a 4' Firestik plus HD spring and QR. Now I'm sure this will be fine but my question is can I push my luck and go with a 5' for road trips?
Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

I would not press your luck any further That particular mount just wasn't designed to handle such a large antenna if you are referring to the plastic side body mount. On the plastic side mount we usually recommend the 3' standard fiberglass or a 4' lightweight antenna like the Firestik Firefly as the maximum load.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ftldist
I would not press your luck any further That particular mount just wasn't designed to handle such a large antenna if you are referring to the plastic side body mount. On the plastic side mount we usually recommend the 3' standard fiberglass or a 4' lightweight antenna like the Firestik Firefly as the maximum load.
Ok cool, thanks for the heads up. I think what i'll do is keep the side mount set up running only the 4' antenna for trail use.
What I might also do is install a separate general purpose mount on the very top of my swing away tire carrier and run a separate coax cable on the opposite side of the jeep to the CB. My thoughts are when I go on long road/overland trips I can hook the CB and 5 footer up to that Coax instead.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Firestik side mount w/ 5' antenna