Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Grounding the Antenna

Old 03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding the Antenna

All,

I have my Cobra 75 hooked up and coax routed, but am having a bear of a time getting the antenna to ground out properly. I am using the Teraflex spare tire mount. If someone could provide some pictures of what they have been successful with I would appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Please give some clarification

I just fabbed my CB mount to the taligate. I am using 2 screws under the factory spare tire mount. I cut and painted a piece of metal (5$) and measured/drilled the holes to fit. I bought a CB mirror mount from Fry's (6$) and a Spring quick connect (7$). Where might I expect a grounding issue? The mount has metal to metal contact....is this not enough? Serious newby here folks!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

This is what I did.
First I made a couple mounts for the tailgate. I used star washer to get a good bite into them when tighten back down.
CB and HF mount

HAM 2M/70CM

I then attached the tailgate to the body with a braided strap. I used star washers here also instead of sanding the paint.. seems to have worked. If I was only using a CB I would have used a 10-12awg wire.

then I grounded the Frame to the body. I tapped the holes and then used a star washers again.

I also applied another ground strap from the engine to frame... this I wouldn't done for just the CB.. it was done for HF higher power.

on CB I get 1.2 to 1.6 SWR

I also am not using a regular CB antenna but a 20M HAM antenna W/O the whip.
it is basically a 4ft antenna W/O the whip..

I hope the pictures help..

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 03-06-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, that's what I need to do. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by Titanium Dad; 10-20-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Grounding the Antenna