Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM antenna idea?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAM antenna idea?

After looking on here I have seen some ideas where to mount a HAM antenna. I currently have a Yaesu FT 2900 with a Larsen antenna on what im running now. Its mounted on the left rear glass. If I were to get a jeep I was thinking about going and putting it on the windshield, but Ive heard that some new windshields are thick and could possibly mess with the antenna. Any thoughts?

Sorry if there is a thread on this already I looked and couldnt find anything.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Go for it

I had two 2m/70cm dual band antennas on my 2008 JKU, a Larsen through the glass model mounted on the rear left quarter fixed window and a Diamond NR770HNMO8 mounted on an Arizona Rocky Road HAM mount attached to the right side of the spare tire mount. (CB on the left side) Both HAM antennas did a good job, but I preferred the Larsen because I could attach my Yaesu 2900 or my Yaesu VX-6 HT, via a system of adapters. I ended up using the Larsen most of the time. I could hit repeaters up to 60 miles away, mostly a function of the 75W output of the 2900 and a repeater sitting on a 6,500' mountain top. In late May, I traded in my '08 on a 2012 JKU Sahara and I am in the process of reinstalling the Larsen, but I have had a few setbacks. When the inside and outside half's of the antenna mount are properly aligned, you can have a SWR range of 1.2 to 2.without out much of a problem. I found that "sweet spot" in short order during re-installation, but then got greedy and wanted to try for an SWR range of 1.2 to 1.5 or so and started over. Bad move. I haven't been able to get much below 2.0 to 3.5 in my search for the perfect SWR range. I know, I know, 1.2 to 2.0 is much better than most mobile rigs ever get, but I had to try. It's still not reinstalled. Maybe I'll try again today. Bottom line: The 2900 / Larsen combination will do everything you expect and then some. Go for it ! W6PBR
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I guess Ill have to try it when the time comes. Thanks! 73

Quick Reply: HAM antenna idea?