Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Ham Radio Install

Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-linux
If you can find one, the Yaesu FT-90 works great with a nice small footprint and plenty of access to bandwidth. Little bit bigger and thicker than a cigarette pack and the face is detachable. Nice for bikes and a small interior like our JK's.
I had three friends with FT-90's and all had problems, they are known for a squelch problem and for having heat related problems as well..All three sent the radio back to the factory for repairs and eventually sold them..

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/75?page=1

N2MWL
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I've read about those issues. I guess I was lucky as I've had mine forever and it's been nothing but good to me. Go figure! Just the right size for a Jeep so I took a chance and bought a used one for $150 at a Ham Jam.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK-linux
Yeah, I've read about those issues. I guess I was lucky as I've had mine forever and it's been nothing but good to me. Go figure! Just the right size for a Jeep so I took a chance and bought a used one for $150 at a Ham Jam.
Ok.....I've been a HAM since 96'...What exactly is a "Ham Jam"?...cause this is a first for me. Is it just another name for a flea market or swap-n-shop?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Basically yes. Around here there are "Ham Jams" a few times a year where we try to get ESDA and the like to get the word out on the Ham hobby. Let kids play with rigs and the like. Lost of selling, buying, etc... So yes, a glorified flea market with some public outreach and such - not a contest or anything.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

my set up:

If you can see it. the antenna is mounted just below the hood on the drivers side. When i went to buy my mount for it, they were out of flat mounts. So took a angled one and bent it flat with a 2x4 and works just fine.

So far im loving it. Im wishing it had AM. i go to an aviation school and deal alot with pilots. it would be nice if i could talk as well as hear them.

Last edited by eraujk; 01-23-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi

I used to have an aircraft band radio that altho it was a mobile (a large older one) I used it as a base here at the qth when I was a guide and was in contact with the bush pilots. I used it with my 10 element 2m Yagi. I could hear real well with it, and actually did talk on it too, but with the yagi tuned to 2m, tx'ing was "iffy".

You might think about a Yaesu, Icom, or King airband handheld, or look on ebay for a used aircraft radio. You could use a two position coax switch and switch between radios and "May" be able to use the same antenna. Altho the air band is a bit away from 144 meg, you may be able to adjust the stinger for a "happy medium" in the swr department for both 144 and 120 meg, and still still use the one antenna. Unfortunately vhf is pretty touchy as far as swr and coax loss is concerned, so if it won't tune up, they do make a little VHF tuner that isn't that expensive. That would deffinately make the set up work. If I recall either MFJ or Vectronics makes the tuner.

Oh, and if you do like the handheld idea, you can also put an antenna adaptor in place of the rubber ducky antenna to again use your antenna with the handheld. If I recall, handhelds are a bit more forgiving (swr) as far as antennas go.

Just some things to think about.....

Good Luck.....
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile For Shadowpro-jk

I like your Yaesu 7800 installation location. Is that the entire radio or just the face plate?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Desert Fox,

Did you ever get your Yaesu 7800 installed ? Looking into the same Radio, how do you like it ?

I just wish it had a Green face, rather than Red...

Last edited by boots; 01-24-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Smile For Boots

Boots,

I just walked in the house from the garage where I was under the JK trying to figure out how to install the 7800 radio body under the driver's seat.
Looking at it from under the JK, it doesn't look all that easy. You have to deal with heat insulation, the exhaust pipe and a cross member. But others have done it and it seems to work out fine. Maybe just use a few sheet metal screws and hope for the best. I tend to use stainless steel nuts and bolts but maybe that's too hard for this installation. I have a fellow Ham here in Escondido who has the same installation so I can always contact him for professional advice. He is on this board as "One Leg"

Anyway, I spent this week getting my Yaesu VX-6 Handy Talkie up and running and I really like it. It's not all that easy to program, in fact it's down right difficult. But I got some assistance and it's up and running now. It's a 2 meter/70cm dual band with 5 Watts out. The unit is the size of a pack of cigarettes with a "rubber ducky" antenna and they can hear me all over town and I'm using reduced power. I'm impressed.

So starting tomorrow, it's time to install the 7800 in the JK. I'll post my progress on this board & string.

KI6VBQ
Old 01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Desert Fox, I will be very interested in your installation.
I've got an Icom IC-92AD handheld, these HTs are difficult to program, fortunately I have the RS-92 software for mine, but their performance is stunning.

Quick Reply: Ham Radio Install