Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Ham radios

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ham radios

Probably a dumb question but can someone give me the ins and outs of ham radios. Or point me in the right direction. Normal operating procedures, do's & dont's, etc...
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjjohnson0023
Probably a dumb question but can someone give me the ins and outs of ham radios. Or point me in the right direction. Normal operating procedures, do's & dont's, etc...
httx://w w w.iw5edi.com/ham-radio-reference/beginners-guide-to-ham-radio
httx://w w w.eham.net/newham/
httx://w w w.w4jnw.com/

Google is your friend. Have fun.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

1) Identify yourself with your callsign on first transmission (my case I start with "This is KJ4PDC")
2) Identify yourself every 10 minutes in a conversation (I normally just throw my callsign in the front of the message)
3) Try to learn the lingo, but don't be afraid to ask for meanings
4) Be polite, remember your conversation is not just between you and someone else but with anyone listening
5) Respect emergencies/drills (HAM was started as an emergency response so that gets priority on all frequencies)
6) If in doubt about if you are allowed to transmit on a fequency, avoid it until you look it up. Most of the time this isn't a problem, but if you modify your radio or have a radio that can work on general/extra frequencies then you want to be sure before you transmit.

These are the main rules I keep when using my radio, clearly there are more rules out there but I feel as if these are the major ones that you will come accross everytime you use your radio.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

June 23-24th is Field Day... clubs all over the country (world?) will be setting up outside and trying to make as many contacts as possiable.

If you want to see what the hobby is about you can google up a local club and find out where they are meeting. You should have no problems seeing a bunch of radios in action that way. Some ham groups are a tough nut to crack so you might have to step up and introduce yourself and ask questions. If you stand around people might just assume you know whats going on and don't have any questions.

I am pretty sure even without a license you can get on the air as long as someone with a license is next to you.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Field Day

HAM Radio clubs all over San Diego county will be participating in Field Day from 11:00 AM on Saturday June 23rd and will end on Sunday June 24th at 11:00 AM. 24 hours non-stop operating on solar charged 12V battery power and portable gas generators. They will be contacting other HAMS in North America via VHF, UHF, HF and Satellite radios. The club to which I belong, The Escondido Amateur Radio Society, has 120 members. We will be conducting Field Day operations from the Dixon Lake Camp Ground in NE Escondido, just off El Norte PKWY. Camp sites 23 -25, which are on top of a hill. If you want to be an observer show up at 11:00 AM on Saturday. You can go to the GOTA (Get On The Air) tent and a HAM will instruct you on how to use a radio and what to say. You could end up talking to someone in Canada, Mexico or anywhere in the USA. One never knows. OR, if you can get off Friday, the 22nd, and show up at Dixon Lake about 1 PM, you can assist me in setting up the VHF/UHF
Band Tent. This involves setting up a solar power generator, gas powered generator, two antennas, two radios, one tent, tables, chairs, etc, etc. and then testing everything, It takes about four hours. We will also be setting up a couple of 30' towers and one 60' tower. If you are interested, please reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Fred - W6PBR

Last edited by Desert Fox; 06-13-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Ham radios