Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HF Antenna Mounts

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HF Antenna Mounts

Anyone have any pictures/suggestions for mounting an HF antenna on a JKU?

Have an ICOM IC-7000 I am considering mounting in the Jeep, but not sure how/where to mount the HF antenna.

Grant
Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I made my mount, check out this thread. Be sure and click on the pic's to enlarge them. Also if you mount it to the tire carrier be.sure and ground it to the body. Some will say you need to then ground the body to the frame, This has not been a problem for me. If you need pic's of that or better pic's of the mount let me know...
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-8800R-Install
Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are a few of the variations of mine.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...9-Interference
Old 10-08-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grant_T
Here is my latest HF antenna configuration. I'm running a 102" whip on a Breedlove QD and HF insulator on a Teraflex bracket feed by an AH-4 tuner mounted on the inside of the tailgate. Works great on 10-20m and so-so on 40m.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by gs2offroad
Works great on 10-20m and so-so on 40m.
That's really cool that you can work 40m at all with that set up. Doesn't a tuner make life a whole lot easier? I run a 3 wavelength 160m loop fed with 450 ohm ladder line right into the back of a Palstar tuner in the shack. It LOVES 40m!!! We should try and sked someday to see if your mobile can make it up here on 40....???
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
That's really cool that you can work 40m at all with that set up. Doesn't a tuner make life a whole lot easier? I run a 3 wavelength 160m loop fed with 450 ohm ladder line right into the back of a Palstar tuner in the shack. It LOVES 40m!!! We should try and sked someday to see if your mobile can make it up here on 40....???
Is your beam fixed yet?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Yes, a tuner makes HF life so much easier. With a combo of the Icom AH-4 tuner and 706 transceiver, just push the tune button and it's good to go on most bands. Makes me a lazy ham but I don't miss swapping hamsticks or adjusting coil taps or trimming wire lengths.

This weekend I've been working a lot on 10m digimodes. From the left coast it's been open to South Africa, South America and Japan. Even heard a station in Vietnam for the first time. I"ve got the Jeep in the driveway and the coax running into the house under the front door. The XYL just loves that, hihi.

I can try 40m phone later today if you want to give it a go. I've got a big mast I can setup on the Jeep for some extra oomph on the lower bands.

Time for another Jeepers net?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Is your beam fixed yet?
Hi Don.....Well my beam never was actually broke.....just not "playing" up to it's potential. I did set up some 450 ohm ladder line, with taps for each band, but I never installed it. Hopefully I'll get to that before the snow falls. So until then it still plays "ok", just with some higher than usual swr on some of the bands. I only use it for the higher bands anyway.....20-10m. I use the big loop for all the low bands. But using a 450 ohm ladder line feed and the Palstar, I can also use the big loop on any band as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by gs2offroad
I can try 40m phone later today if you want to give it a go.
Sorry for the hijack. Look me up on qrz so you can get my email. Shoot me one if you want to try 40m later on tonight...

WL7CMG
Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grant_T

Have an ICOM IC-7000 I am considering mounting in the Jeep, but not sure how/where to mount the HF antenna.

Grant
I have 3 mounts... two gate mounted and one license plate frame mount. My gate mounts are from Arizona Rocky Road and are great. One is a NMO for a 2M/440 dual bander and the other is a 3/8X24 for a 6M Hamstick or whatever HF stick I want to put on it. My license plate mount is from Cooltec LLc and is the slickest mount there is. It's a 3/8X24 and I have used it for both CB & 10M. I have an Icom 706Mk2-G and I have used a 20M and a 40M Hamstick on the 3/8X24 on the gate off road, but they are too tall to use on the road. If I cna figure out how to post pics I post some of my setup... haven't had any luck so far!

Quick Reply: HF Antenna Mounts