Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

how to deal with wet environments

Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to deal with wet environments

I'm interested in getting a CB radio installed. But I'm curious how they handle the elements. I'm northern best at pitting my top up or shying away from puddles and water crossings. Do you all have any advice about how to mount or install a unit to keep it from being damaged? Or maybe I'm better off just getting a handheld unit?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

i'm surprised no one has answered your post. i'm not an expert on how to do a water protected installation, but i'd say it needs to be protected, i.e. above the floor if you get water in on crossings and under a top of some kind if it rains, and if you don't have the top be ready to unhook it and put it away if it's going to rain. maybe there's something in the marine or motorcycle cb category that you can use if you do a search on that? i used a handheld cb for a while and it worked for close range. it's been a while but i think i hooked up a mag mount to it to make it better. it was harder to hear though with its small speaker.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Im surprised too...

I guess it was a silly question? I've been trying to think of where water doesnt get to in my Jeep when it rains. I know my center console leaks a little. I've been looking at mounting in/around the glove box. I just dont recall how dry it is in there. I want to say water can get in the glove box, but I wonder if it will leak into the spaces around/under it. I've been looking at that little Cobra 75 something or other model. It's all built into the hand-held piece and there is a little connector box that is used to connect to the antenna, hand-held piece, and an optional external speaker. I like this unit because all I have to pull out is the hand held unit, if I can find somewhere that stays dry to mount the connector box. I'm not familiar with CBs and I am wondering if I could enclose them in some kind of box with rubber grommets in the holes the cables would be routed through.

A handheld unit is always an option I guess. I'm just worried about range and signal quality. I guess it wouldnt have to be that great if it's just going to be for offroading purposes.

Thanks for your input... maybe a few other people will chime in?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted mine above the rear view mirror, It's been rained on plenty, but seems that the water runs off of it instead of into it...
Just make sure there are no speaker holes on the top of it and you should be fine...
Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

I have mine above the mirror. I remember being in Kohl's and it was getting poured on. So much water there was an in. On floors. I threw up the top, bought towels from Kohl's dried the seats and left. I was worried as heck but when I stepped on the gas and water poured off and out of it onto my wife's lap it didn't matter that it cost 120 if ruined priceless watching the water pour out. Anyway I left it off and let it dry for 10 min. And turned it on. It still works. What the heck it better take abuse its a toy. Just empty every pocket JEEP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111029_074942.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	229920

Quick Reply: how to deal with wet environments