JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   ICOM IC-7000 Remote install with video on Nav System (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/icom-ic-7000-remote-install-video-nav-system-279129/)

maxspongebob 06-30-2013 10:20 AM

ICOM IC-7000 Remote install with video on Nav System

5 Attachment(s)
I just finished the install of my ICOM IC-7000 rig in the Jeep. I love the setup, it really works well.

I went with a remote install with the radio and antenna tuner under the passengers seat and the control panel and mic on the top of the center stack.

Radio location: I installed a flat plate under the seat and attached to the bottom of it, a couple shortened computer rack rails. The radio and tuner attach to the sliding part of the rails so that I can easily pull the entire unit out from under the seat.

Control Panel: I replaced the upper center console stack with one of those Daystar units that has the tray built in. I mounted the remote control unit to the top of it so that it would sit a little lower than if I had used the factory dash. The mic is hooked to the left of the radio just on the top of the dash.

Antenna: The HF antenna (fixed frequency whip) is mounted with a ball mount on the right rear quarter panel, and the VHF/UHF is mounted on the tailgate.

Speaker: The speaker is a small 2" mounted on the rollbar in front of the overhead light.

The coolest part is that I had previously installed a LockPick to hook up a reverse camera. So I used the second video input on the LockPick to connect the ICOM's video out to the radio. The IC-7000 has a very small video screen that shows all the radio settings, it also has a composite video output so you can connect to a larger screen.

Attachment 473251Attachment 473252Attachment 473253Attachment 473254Attachment 473255

3Lug 06-30-2013 11:18 AM

Um, Thats impressive!
Nicely done.

ShawnInPaso 06-30-2013 09:40 PM

Wow, very slick use of the video out to the head unit. :thumbsup:

JKUenvy 07-02-2013 06:35 PM

That makes me wish I had sprung for the nav system - just to display the video! Nice.

B-MAN 07-19-2013 06:45 PM

Bravo...I've been trying to figure out where to mount my rigs in the new Rubi, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

ROADSDA 10-15-2017 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by maxspongebob (Post 3602552)
I just finished the install of my ICOM IC-7000 rig in the Jeep. I love the setup, it really works well.

I went with a remote install with the radio and antenna tuner under the passengers seat and the control panel and mic on the top of the center stack.

Radio location: I installed a flat plate under the seat and attached to the bottom of it, a couple shortened computer rack rails. The radio and tuner attach to the sliding part of the rails so that I can easily pull the entire unit out from under the seat.

The coolest part is that I had previously installed a LockPick to hook up a reverse camera. So I used the second video input on the LockPick to connect the ICOM's video out to the radio. The IC-7000 has a very small video screen that shows all the radio settings, it also has a composite video output so you can connect to a larger screen.

Nice work... I did something similar to this but I have not tied in the video feed... I'll have to look at LockPick - don't know what that is.

Thought I'd share where installed my face plate, which puts all the controls in extremely convenience reach. I used an Action Pod Pro which required lifting the center console plastic around the drive select to install this mod took about 8 min total. I removed the clamp from the Action Pod and just used the hardware included. Sorry, I don't know how to rotate this images...

Attachment 675524 Attachment 675525

CtSeaRay 10-16-2017 04:55 AM

Bad ass set up man! Love it really gets me thinking about my Yaesu FT-857D upcoming install

Originally Posted by ROADSDA (Post 4306162)
Nice work... I did something similar to this but I have not tied in the video feed... I'll have to look at LockPick - don't know what that is.

Thought I'd share where installed my face plate, which puts all the controls in extremely convenience reach. I used an Action Pod Pro which required lifting the center console plastic around the drive select to install this mod took about 8 min total. I removed the clamp from the Action Pod and just used the hardware included. Sorry, I don't know how to rotate this images...

Attachment 675524 Attachment 675525

DRRitchie 10-21-2017 04:24 AM

Nice work!

Very well done! I have my Kenwood 480HX head on top of the stack, with the radio back by the tailgate. The Hi-Q screwdriver is on the tailgate. Furthest reached is Brazil on SSB. Other side of tailgate is VHF/UHF antenna for Yaesu 8900, radio tucked up under passenger footwell and head unit above rearview mirror with external speaker. Ground straps underneath and all doors. See K0BG's website on mobile.

Freijen 06-08-2018 07:03 PM

Antenna

What brand of antenna and tuner did you use? I have the same setup and only have the uhf/vhf antenna installed. I also mounted the reciever under the passage seat. I mounted the remote head on a arm by the center counsel though.