Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

If you have a fiberglass antenna and high SWR read this!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If you have a fiberglass antenna and high SWR read this!

I found my mount to tailgate was well grounded, so I ran a wire from underneath the tailgate trim panel to the bolt holding the sub down. Nice and clean.

Checking with the multimeter, the ground is clean from the mount, to the tailgate, to the tub, to the frame, and even to the muffler believe it or not.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Coley
I found my mount to tailgate was well grounded, so I ran a wire from underneath the tailgate trim panel to the bolt holding the sub down. Nice and clean.

Checking with the multimeter, the ground is clean from the mount, to the tailgate, to the tub, to the frame, and even to the muffler believe it or not.
In all actuality you should be able to get continuity from the mount all the way to the front bumper, or ANYTHING metal that you touch with the probe....doors, tailgate, winshield frame, etc... That way the antenna is seeing one solid large metal mass as it's ground plane.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

After running through all the tests, we found that the coax that I had installed was the issue. I installed better quality coax and it's now tuned to 1.5 on all stations.

Thanks for the help!! I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: If you have a fiberglass antenna and high SWR read this!