Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Interference

Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Great idea building that filter...!!! Let's hope it does the job....can't hurt I'm sure, and may be a great help for a lot of us.
Nope didn't help
Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpaulson
Nope didn't help
Brian it sure sounds you are walking down my path. Have you bonded everything you can yet? That's probably going to be the best bang for your time. If you want to spare yourself some grief don't bother buying the low RF ignition cables. They are expensive and don't help. However you may get a bit of relief from buying new OEM cables. Unless your jeep is new/low miles then it probably wont help. I did everything I could to avoid bonding. I'm not a big fan of drilling holes everywhere but it turns out that was the best answer for ignition noise.

What is the noise level on the meter with NB off?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedDavid
Brian it sure sounds you are walking down my path. Have you bonded everything you can yet? That's probably going to be the best bang for your time. If you want to spare yourself some grief don't bother buying the low RF ignition cables. They are expensive and don't help. However you may get a bit of relief from buying new OEM cables. Unless your jeep is new/low miles then it probably wont help. I did everything I could to avoid bonding. I'm not a big fan of drilling holes everywhere but it turns out that was the best answer for ignition noise.

What is the noise level on the meter with NB off?
S7 ish most of the time at idle and 8-9 when driving.

Bonded the tailgate tub fram and both front quarter panels together.

Last edited by rpaulson; 07-16-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi

S7 ish most of the time at idle and 8-9 when driving.

Bonded the tailgate tub fram and both from quarter panels together.
Don't forget to ground the exhaust too.....
Old 07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Don't forget to ground the exhaust too.....
yea gonna go do that in a sec when it cools. Where did you guys do it at so I don't have to re-invent the wheel on that one?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea gonna go do that in a sec when it cools. Where did you guys do it at so I don't have to re-invent the wheel on that one?
I bonded the exhaust in 3 places. Just find a couple places close to the frame and go for it. I used some of those metal hose clamps from HDepot. While you are down there there are a couple open holes in the back of the transmission case thing that you can use to bond it as well. The more metal bonded together the better. One more thing to check is the ground wire that comes off the battery and goes to the engine block behind the motor. Mine was okay but other folks in other forums have had an issue with it breaking free. I'd expect that to increase RFI.

I'm still curious what makes your jeep have such a similar issue with ignition noise as mine. Most people on this forum have had problems with common mode messing with electronics more so than ignition RFI. Your jeep is 12 days older than mine. Wonder if the dude running the line those two weeks was smoking herb or something and forgot to ground something. Hate to say it but it's nice to finally have company (sorry).
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedDavid
I bonded the exhaust in 3 places. Just find a couple places close to the frame and go for it. I used some of those metal hose clamps from HDepot. While you are down there there are a couple open holes in the back of the transmission case thing that you can use to bond it as well. The more metal bonded together the better. One more thing to check is the ground wire that comes off the battery and goes to the engine block behind the motor. Mine was okay but other folks in other forums have had an issue with it breaking free. I'd expect that to increase RFI.

I'm still curious what makes your jeep have such a similar issue with ignition noise as mine. Most people on this forum have had problems with common mode messing with electronics more so than ignition RFI. Your jeep is 12 days older than mine. Wonder if the dude running the line those two weeks was smoking herb or something and forgot to ground something. Hate to say it but it's nice to finally have company (sorry).
Looks like I;m buying some clamps. I'm up to 10 grounding straps used so far
Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow this is crazy. I never really tryed to use my HT while in the jeep but my HT is picking up the noise too.......

I think I'm gonna use a bud's sniffer next weekend and try to find out where most of it is comming from. *Wonders how much it would cost to make a 4x4 faraday cage* :-P
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi

Wow this is crazy. I never really tryed to use my HT while in the jeep but my HT is picking up the noise too.......

I think I'm gonna use a bud's sniffer next weekend and try to find out where most of it is comming from. *Wonders how much it would cost to make a 4x4 faraday cage* :-P
Do you have a small AM transistor radio you can move around under the hood or inside the cab? That's what we used to use as a "sniffer". Usually works real good.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nah I don;t but a buddy does. I think I'm still gonna re mount the antennas even though I'm sure its not them and the ground issue any more.

Found this step at TSC for $35. It's locks into 5 slots side to side and slides out and locks into the extended position too. Gonna take that plate off and weld a steel plate to it about 6in longer out. Will be stowed to the Right most times as that will clear the tail gate extended. When i park to contest or camp i can then swing it out to get more room from the jeep body. Also gonna leave enough space on the plate to manufacture a mast mount to screw some kine of mast to it.

Quick Reply: Interference