Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

My CB radio install to share with everyone . . .

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I put my gun safe there

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
looks great and clean. I had thought about mounting it under seat too but like others have said im always playing with it and I have friends that use differ channels and I couldnt get my arms down there to change things
I like what you did. Makes sense about the plastic cover.

I installed an ARB G.E.A.R. overhead console in black and drilled up into the forward portion of the 3/16" steel "U" plate. The SSB hangs perfectly just above and allows the full view of the mirror. I hung the mike with a fly fishing retract towards the back of the console which allows the cord to hang nicely between the seats and out of the way. No pics yet. (Ship Captain currently at sea)

I hope this helps future radio installs whether it's under the seat or overhead...
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Currently no where near my Jeep but Im dying to know if the 2015 Wrangler has the same mounting points under the seat? Anyone know?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually a good looking installation. I like the fact that you can keep it off the floor. I assume you left some slop in the cables, so you can move the seat back and forth. My only comment would be to re-run your power leads directly to the battery (both positive and negative), and to fuse both conductors. The downside to this is that the radio could remain on, when the rig is shut off.........

My radio has a detachable control head, which is mounted on the dash. The radio itself is on the passengers side floor. It's raised up a little with a bracket, but I still worry about it.

One of the other JK-Forum members had a write-up about putting the radio "in" the dash. I haven't investigated that, but then I'd worry about overheating.

BTW (almost forgot) my rig is a Ham rig, so the installs aren't exactly apples-to-apples.

Have fun!!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tlminh
Just wanted to share my install, I haven't seen anyone do this yet I have a 2012 JKU Sport Purchased the Cobra 29 LT BT CB radio (love it) Amazon.com: Cobra 29 LTD BT 40-Channel CB Radio with Bluetooth Technology: Car Electronics I looked at multiple forums trying to decide the best place to put the radio. I wanted it stealth, ie out of sight. I didn't want to get the tuffy overhead, and from what I've read, that radio was too long for the tuffy anyways There were some other custom made brackets, but one was on the passanger side, the other would get in the way of the hardtop levers So I spent some time looking around the jeep and found that there is a bracket underneath the driver's seat. The only purpose it served was to hold an electrical connection off the floor I removed the connector seen below (twisted it off, the clip broke but i didn't care, nothing duct tape cant fix) I removed the bracket (2 screws) and flattened it out with a hammer and some pliers There were already a few holes in the bracket, so I just went to home depot and got some nuts/washers that attached the CB bracket to the seat bracket This is how it would look with the radio on I then placed the whole thing back where it came from, but this time it had the CB radio attached to it This is what it looks like mounted I ran the microphone underneath the seat and it lays next to the brake handle. I purchased a CB radio speaker and attached to pillars just over my left ear (no photos of that) Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket, 2-3/4 x 4-1/2": Car Electronics The rest of the install can be found elsewhere online . . . Ran the power wire to the fuse box, grounded to the chassis, CB antenna via cooltech ultramount Cool Tech LLC. JK Ultamount CB Antenna System Have had this for 4 months now, everything works like a charm. Just had to retighten the bolts 2 weeks after install and its been secure since then. I'm always on ch19 on the road so I don't need to change the channel, and the speaker is right over my ear. If it gets too loud, my arms are skinny enough to reach down and lower the volume (I'm fairly thin)
Was it necessary to bend the mounting bracket? Seems like there's enough space in the pics to attach the cb without bending metal

Quick Reply: My CB radio install to share with everyone . . .