Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

New to CB's - basic setup advice

Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working my build now.

ordered a cobra 18 wx st II. mid priced, and comes with weather.
4' firestick II
cable: Roadpro RP-8X18CL 18ft Mini8 Clear Pl-259 To Pl-259
standard spring and standard base.

spring will come in handy since the firestick is pretty sturdy. rather it bend then a tree take it out.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tried to go cheap on my CB thinking that the complete kits were too expensive. By the time you buy all the components individualy you will be in the same ball-park. So I am currently running a Cobra 19 Ultra III that I got on clearence from wal-mart for $20. It is a pretty decent radio, but I am wanting to switch to a full size. I will probably get a Cobra 29.

I am finishing up a portable CB project. I have a Cobra 18 that I mounted in a .50 Cal ammo can with a 12-volt SLA battery. It should run for more than 8 hours. My goal was to make something I could loan out to fellow wheelers who don't have a CB yet.

I will post my build when it is finished.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Def. want to see the pic when you get it done good luck?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Just a quick update. Thanks again for all the great advice! Ended up getting my setup from rightchannelradios.com. Very affordable at $140 shipped. Came with all the brackets for center console mounting too

The install was easier than expected. Only fishing the lines through the center tunnel gaskets was a pain. Got it tuned this morning and eavesdropped on trucker traffic on ch 19!

Only fubar was my antenna which is a 3 footer - 1 foot too short when mounted on my rear bumper !

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 09-22-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: got rid of vendor link
Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Just a quick update. Thanks again for all the great advice! Ended up getting my setup from www.rightchannelradios.com. Very affordable at $140 shipped. Came with all the brackets for center console mounting too

The install was easier than expected. Only fishing the lines through the center tunnel gaskets was a pain. Got it tuned this morning and eavesdropped on trucker traffic on ch 19!

Only fubar was my antenna which is a 3 footer - 1 foot too short when mounted on my rear bumper !
Where'd you get your's tuned at? I am in need of a tune and the two shops that were near me are all gone... :(

Edit: Nevermind...I am just going to buy a SWR meter and tune it myself via online instructions. Hopefully I can do this tonight

Last edited by Imposter_LRF; 09-21-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF
Where'd you get your's tuned at? I am in need of a tune and the two shops that were near me are all gone... :(

Edit: Nevermind...I am just going to buy a SWR meter and tune it myself via online instructions. Hopefully I can do this tonight
Oops! Just saw your post. I'll carry my SWR with me to the BH trip. If you didn't get one by then you can use mine. It's super easy
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Oops! Just saw your post. I'll carry my SWR with me to the BH trip. If you didn't get one by then you can use mine. It's super easy
Getting good range?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

I bought the CoolTechLLC setup with the tailgate mount and a quick disconnect. I opted for the 3ft antenna and mounted the bracket so the antenna is the lowest possible. Sticks up above the roof just a couple of inches. Tunning was easy with the screw tip.

A friend bought a spring for his antenna and when I helped him tune it we ran into the problem that he couldn't make his antenna short enough. The ratio was still good but not great. Should I throw my tuner in the Jeep for Sunday's BH trip too, just in case?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF

Getting good range?
I haven't ranged myself yet. But I swore that I was at mile marker 11 and picked up a trucker at mile marker 5. That's over 5 miles?? Unless I heard him wrong. I'll test my range again with you at BH. Getting my 4 foot whip today. My current 3 ft is too short on the rear bumper
Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker

hey chris i can show u my setup on sunday - easy to install its a handheld plus hard mount - total cost $120 - time to install 15 minutes
Cool man. We'll exchange notes. I have mine set up already. Tuned too. Getting a 1 foot longer antenna today - my old 3 ft didn't go past my roof. Cya Sunday!

Quick Reply: New to CB's - basic setup advice