Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

New to CB's - basic setup advice

Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
I haven't ranged myself yet. But I swore that I was at mile marker 11 and picked up a trucker at mile marker 5. That's over 5 miles?? Unless I heard him wrong. I'll test my range again with you at BH. Getting my 4 foot whip today. My current 3 ft is too short on the rear bumper
Sounds like a plan...what channel are we on?

Got an SWR meter at lunch, so I will tune mine up today after work. (figured I would need it, it was cheap enough and I can tune FalconKR5's [Kevin] too)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF

Sounds like a plan...what channel are we on?

Got an SWR meter at lunch, so I will tune mine up today after work. (figured I would need it, it was cheap enough and I can tune FalconKR5's [Kevin] too)
Let's do channel 16 again.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Managed to take a few pics of the CB setup I decided to go with. Uniden 520 radio with PA, Pyle 25W PA horn, Firestik spring shock SS HD, Firestik 3 foot fiberglass antenna, right angle mount (was supposed to be for a tubular mount but used the right angle to attach to the tire carrier instead), 18 foot coax, radio powered directly by battery, antenna mount grounded to offroad bumper mount.

Radio mounted to the center console, driver side. Have concerns with deep water but I guess I should keep my Jeep out of the pool anyway

Mic is attached to the dash, wiper stalk side

Antenna is mounted to the tire carrier. Keeps it nice and high. Sometimes too high. At my parking garage at work, I keep hitting the tip of the antenna against the low hanging signs . Learning how to swerve around them.

Icing on the cake is my PA horn. Used it to hail down a colleague today on the road. The puzzled look on her face was priceless LOL

I like the grounding to the offroad bumper mount. I tested that ground and it was solid. This pic also shows my old mounting location - the bumper. It sucked, SWR around 2.5 on most channels. Switched to my tire carrier mount, now I'm at 1.5

Anyway just thought I'd share

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 09-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: New to CB's - basic setup advice