Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Piecing Together CB [Help Please]

Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Piecing Together CB [Help Please]

Just wanting to make sure i have everything i need. What am i missing as far that you guys can see off of this list right here? I have an SPOD but will more than likely end up using every slot, so my thought of powering it up will be directly to the battery. As far as the mount i think i might just end up going with the tailgate ones just to get started and have one for trail use then upgrade later if needed.

CB ( Uniden Bearcat 980 )

Amazon.com : Uniden BEARCAT CB Radio With Sideband And WeatherBand (980SSB) : Fixed Mount Cb Radios : Electronics

18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable

Amazon.com: 18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors: Automotive

Im wanting to add a quick disconnect so i can take it off when not in use to help from people stealing my antenna. Read the reviews and saw the internal locking mechanism one wasn't all that great.

Robot Check

4ft Black Firefly

Robot Check

Thanks all for the help.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like all you are missing is the antenna bracket, and possibly a CB bracket depending on how you want to mount it
Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DKehler
looks like all you are missing is the antenna bracket, and possibly a CB bracket depending on how you want to mount it
Thank you. Do a lot of people go with the spring to help move the antenna if it hits something? I mean if i have a quick disconnect i could always take it off but idk how much signal i would lose having the spring connected to the quick disconnect and then the antenna itself.

Were you with that group yesterday that went and hit rock bottom ?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Assuming i would need this as well so i can have a sturdy base.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Well i just went ahead and pulled the trigger on everything i put in this thread. Going to make my own mount like someone else did as an overhead one. Once i get this thing together im going to take it to a shop to have it tuned properly and then go from there.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

no I wasn't there, never even heard of that trail. I might be looking for some new people to go wheeling with anyway because the guys I go with right now don't go out very often. That spring might not be a bad idea because a four foot antenna will stick up quite a bit and catch a lot of wind resistance. I don't know if you would lose signal because you're adding a piece, or if you would gain signal because you're kind of making your antenna longer with it. Having a shop to tune it for you is a good idea.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DKehler
no I wasn't there, never even heard of that trail. I might be looking for some new people to go wheeling with anyway because the guys I go with right now don't go out very often. That spring might not be a bad idea because a four foot antenna will stick up quite a bit and catch a lot of wind resistance. I don't know if you would lose signal because you're adding a piece, or if you would gain signal because you're kind of making your antenna longer with it. Having a shop to tune it for you is a good idea.
Im going to deal without the spring for now as my total came out to roughly $200 for everything thus far, even though thats not an issue.

But we went out to Logandale yesterday for awhile. Hit me up via PM if you want to try and come along with us. I will be moving to St George, Utah in a couple weeks but im sure the guys will go wheeling even though im gone and you can still hop in with them.

Quick Reply: Piecing Together CB [Help Please]