Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Places to mount a PA speaker

Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an old federal signal Cop car PA speaker, but could not find a place it would fit. So I did the logical thing... ...I went to ebay and ordered a new thin 100W cop car speaker (about $85) that will fit either between the grill and rad, or under the hood mounted the the cross supports on the hood so that when the hood closes it hangs in that empty space near the brake master cyl. I have may CB output peaked and it sounds awsome on a 100w PA speaker. I just need to wait for the smaller one to arrive so I can mount it.

I have seen others mount them from the cross supports on the hood and it is about the only option if you want it protected from snow and road salt in the Ohio winters.
-wwiifirearms
Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeluxeJK
What yall got?
Check out my solution:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...67&postcount=7
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Dynamax 100W speaker from ebay mounted on the JK this week.
It is about 6"x"6 x 2.6".
I looked at several under-hood mounting locations, including hanging from the cross-supports on the hood, but I was afraid the weight was too much.

I decided to mount it between the grill and radiator, just like they mount it in the Police cars. I drilled to 3/8" holes in the square steel tube that the bottom of the grill snaps into. Then I cut the extra metal off the mounting bracket that came with it to make a simple "U" shaped bracket (I think it came with one for a Ford Crown Victoria). Drilled two 3/8" holes in the bracket, and attached behind the grill using 5/16" nuts and bolts with lock washers.
Caution: don't drill through the cooling line that runs under the square steel tube.

With it perfectly centered I think the grill will keep most of the mud out of it when off-roading, but I might slip a ziplock bag over it just in case.

Works great and is quite loud.

-wwiifirearms
Old 06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Here you go. The local CB shop had a speaker that was the perfect fit between the fan and the bumper...right in the middle of the vehicle with nothing blocking it. There was also 1 hole at the top of the hood that I attached the speaker to. I later drilled 2 more holes to secure it better. It is pretty loud too.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a 100W dynamax -Federal signal speaker from an old cop car on ebay.
These are thin and weather proof, and fit perfect between the grill and radiator. Bonus: they are 100W, so they are super loud. Even louder if you get some type of amp.

This thing rocks
-wwiifirearms

Quick Reply: Places to mount a PA speaker