Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

portable ham radio

Old 05-19-2007, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default portable ham radio

questions is i have a cb radio will a ham radio give me greater ditance of talk and any input about brands antenna types thanks. also pics of intalls
Old 05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

lol thought of that already and everybody pretty much told me no. Don't get it. It's useless. No one from 50-100 miles away will come save u...if that's that same reason u want to get it for?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running an ameteur radio in my rig & love it. Why wouldn't you want a piece of communication eqiupment that transmits as far as feasible?

If I'm in the boonies & have an emergency, I want all the advantages I can get...and having a piece of communication equipment that transmits 25+ miles fits the bill. I don't see why being able to transmit 25+ miles is a liability. Highway Patrol runs CB's in their cars, as do trucks & vehicles on the highway and other off-roaders such as myself. ;-)

You also don't have to have the power turned up if traveling in a group. I can turn mine down to 2 watts transmit power by turning down a knob.

Keep in mind, just because they someone may not be able to reach you in response doesn't mean they won't notify authorities if they hear distress call from you.

The only downfall to running an ameteur radio is cost. Figure on spending at least $400 for a nice radio.

As usual, your mileage may vary.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

hey six guns any advise in brand and im in the Mesa area you have any pics of install all i know is when im in some remote location in az and its a 120 and my cb gets nothing and my cell isnt woking and im stuck extra assurance is always a plus
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's some pics of what I'm running. PM me for where I got it at. (I bought it new & locally)

You can go this route, or buy a nice normal CB, like a Galaxy DX979, have it peaked & tuned & find a linear amp & only use the amp in emergencies. Keep in mind that using a linear amp with 11 meter radios is an FCC violation. ;-)

Here's link for the 979...

http://www.galaxyradios.com/bigpictures/GalaxyDX979.jpg

It's a great little radio that, IMHO, has the best bang for the buck you can get without upgrading to an ameteur radio (10 meter) and have CB frequencies added.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also don't forget that running amature radio requires you to take a FCC test to be properly licenced.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking Cq Cq Cq

Sixgunz,

what's your handle?

KB1NSW out!

Quick Reply: portable ham radio