Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Pulsing sound from CB

Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really hard to fix for the most part. Good grounding helps.

Is it just when you put in the key or all the time? does it pulse faster as you throttle up?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpaulson
Its really hard to fix for the most part. Good grounding helps.

Is it just when you put in the key or all the time? does it pulse faster as you throttle up?
It's only when the key is in the ignition. While the engine was running, I disconnected the coax and the pulsing sound went away.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CrystalRubi
It's only when the key is in the ignition. While the engine was running, I disconnected the coax and the pulsing sound went away.
I bought a $15 power filter off of ebay.. Fixed it right up!

Just search for PAC CSS-100 POWER LEAD NOISE FILTER 10 AMP CSS100
Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Cold
I bought a $15 power filter off of ebay.. Fixed it right up!

Just search for PAC CSS-100 POWER LEAD NOISE FILTER 10 AMP CSS100
I doubt that will work in his case as they sound went away when he disconnected the coax. His antenna is picking it up. You have to find the offending source and put chokes on the power lines or ground whatever it is a little better. It's not as easy with these new vehicles, but in the old days we would just start removing fuses till the sound went away. This was a good way to figure out what was causing the noise.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the cb the only antenna/long run of NON STOCK wire in your jk?

Post a pic or 2 of your antenna mounts from different angles for me if you can. also is your power for the cb ran DIRECTLY to the battery?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the cb the only antenna/long run of NON STOCK wire in your jk?

Post a pic or 2 of your antenna mounts from different angles for me if you can. also is your power for the cb ran DIRECTLY to the battery?
I can post pics this evening. I'm using the CoolTech license plate antenna mount. Coax running along the driver's side floor. CB is over the rearview mirror. Only non-stock wiring is in the engine bay for my Rigid led lights. Wiring is in the engine bay, swiches wired at the A-pillar.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the CB power directly to the battery or tapped off of other stuff?

I bet it;s a grounding issue as it;s in the antenna/coax somewhere
Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the CB power directly to the battery or tapped off of other stuff?

I bet it;s a grounding issue as it;s in the antenna/coax somewhere
Power for the CB is directly to the battery terminals.

Could be very possible with the cable. I could have kinked it when running it through the tail light into the Jeep. I couldn't get the plastic cover off on the inside of the Jeep behind the tail light so I pushed/pulled the cable through. I don't have as much coax left over as I expected for a 2-door, so it could be coiled up in that plasic cover. I will check that this weekend. Also, I didn't sand the inside of the frame when I attached the CoolTech bracket, as I didn't expect for the inside panel to be painted. I'll run sandpaper over that area as well just to make sure I have a good ground.

Last edited by CrystalRubi; 11-30-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My power and ground come directly off of the battery, and I was still getting the pulsing issue. What cured my problem was getting a much better radio. I was running a small Uniden , then a small Cobra. After I moved up to a Cobra 29 LTD my noise went away. As usual, the heavier the electronics package, the better the radio. The smaller radios barely weighed a pound. The Cobra 29 LTD weighs almost four times what the small radios weighed. The same theory goes for computers, stereo equipment, and even battery chargers. I was taught this lesson by my son, who was a CT, in the Navy, and later owned his own computer repair business. He is now the IT manager at a major grocery store chain, in my area.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lungbutter
Just finished the installation of a Uniden PRO510XL cb radio. I tuned the SWR of the antenna and am pretty happy with the installation. I'm at 1.3 on 1, 1.2 on 19, and 1.3 on 40.

I followed WOL's installation write-up to take the power
Originally Posted by lungbutter
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin from the battery through the foam-fulled hole in the firewall near the passenger front door. Now I notice that with squelch down a bit, I hear a light "pulsing" sound about every second. I took my ground from a bolt by the driver's left foot on the outside wall that appeared to be a ground point. The antenna is the stainless-steel job from Chadd's Ford Electronics sold through Quadratec and is grounded through the two new replacement bolts.

Any ideas what I'm hearing? Possibly electrical interference from the engine bay, from running the power along the right side of the engine bay then to the positive terminal? Normal background artifacts?

Thanks

I just turn the squelch to get rid of it and all is well (except shifting into 4-Lo - makes a racket for a second).

Last edited by martinoermando; 05-18-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Pulsing sound from CB