Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Real gmrs as trail communication

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm liking this Idea, I get sick of not being able to hear the guy 5 Jeeps in front of me because he's up around the corner of the mountain. Or the guy who has a weak radio. Finally a better option.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went a on a run with a group of folks yesterday and we were all running on 2 meter simplex. It was nice not too have that horrible sounding AM crap and all that noise you get on CB. I think the GMRS and FRS frequencies are way too congested. MURS would have been a good option for the trail it really hasn't caught much popularity.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting thread... Anywhere I could get more information on GMRS radios?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I quickly tried to google and found some info... I'm familiar with cb and 2 way radios but not so much on gmrs/ham. Id be interested in getting a mobile GMRS in my jeep but I wouldn't know what channels to have it programmed too. Id really only use it for trips/emergencies... No real point for any other use I suppose.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

My ATV club uses GMRS radios instead of CBs. We have found that we can talk further, the radios are more reliable than CBs, and the antenna is only 6". There are lots of ATV clubs making the switch over to GMRS and it won't be long until the Jeep crowd converts over too. It is just better technology.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

interesting idea. I just put a CB radio in mine, so I don't think I'm about to pull it, but I do have a handheld FRS/GMRS radio. Are there certain frequencies that 4 wheelers tend to use on GMRS? I know the OP doesn't like the handhelds but maybe it's better than nothing until GMRS usage climbs and radio cost drops?

Last edited by zwvirtual; 06-12-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

MURS is a less popular band than GMRS most likely due to the output limitations imposed by the FCC. The maximum output for MURS is 2 watts vs the 40 watt capability.

Moterola makes a handheld model MS350R that is available through Bestbuy or walmart. This is a few more bucks than a standard FRS radio ($99.00 per set at bestbuy) but is capable of hitting repearters where as most others while are packaged as GMRS do not have the repeater capability. I have a set of these and they are very good radios. The drawback that I see with the handhelds is my batteries are always dead, you cannot hear them very well in the jeep with the radio on and they are limited in power due to the proximity of the operator to the antenna.

We have received a shipment of Midland MO-4128's which are 45 watt 128 channel mid grade mobile radios. They are running $299.00 with free programming.

Remember all GMRS frequencies (handheld or mobile) require the FCC license. The cost for the license is $85.00 through the FCC.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking at the Midland GXT1000PV4 (36 mile), it's at about $60 on Amazon. Would that be about as good as the MS350R? Only thing that sucks is that you have to get 2 radios. Wish I could just buy one.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Id be interested in getting one but have no clue what frequencies I would want. Esp for emergencies
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am for it b/c I think the GMRS band is much better than the 11m CB band... small antenna, more power, better penetration through trees, etc... so I am all for it. I am a ham so the $85 would be annoying but if my club went GMRS I would sign right up.

Ham is much cheaper but to get the tech license it takes about 10 hours of studying, and time is money and I assume most of you guys make more than $8.50 an hour so I guess the $85 isn't that big of a deal.

Quick Reply: Real gmrs as trail communication