JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   Running power wires, and coax etc. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/running-power-wires-coax-etc-7243/)

captsam54 04-28-2007 12:03 PM

Running power wires, and coax etc.

Hi Guys...
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in on routing power wires and coax thru into the engine bay etc.

Pop the side panel off (left or right) on the dash.. Look forward and see a round hole filled with foam..

Take a Phillips screw driver and wiggle it around in there and push it threw until you feel it come out the other side..
Then you can pull wires thru without drilling the firewall etc.
If anyones interested in pictures, please go to "my" gallery, and you should be able to see pic's there..

EDIT: link to "My Gallery".... http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=624

I have mine wired for a VHF and a CB with a Arizoniarockyroad overhead mount..:yup:

ClownBaby 04-30-2007 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by captsam54 (Post 73571)
Hi Guys...
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in on routing power wires and coax thru into the engine bay etc.

Pop the side panel off (left or right) on the dash.. Look forward and see a round hole filled with foam..

Take a Phillips screw driver and wiggle it around in there and push it threw until you feel it come out the other side..
If anyones interested in pictures, please Pm me and I will be glad to email you pic's of my setup..
I have mine wired for a VHF and a CB with a Arizoniarockyroad overhead mount..:yup:

Too much work IMO....look at my option. See what you think.

captsam54 04-30-2007 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ClownBaby (Post 74349)
Too much work IMO....look at my option. See what you think.

OK, got a link to it??

JEEPSUW 05-05-2007 10:19 AM

pics ????

do u have pics ?

JEEPSUW 05-05-2007 10:21 AM

can't find your pics

captsam54 05-05-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JEEPSUW (Post 78260)
can't find your pics

Who's pic's, mine or ClownBabys????
Mine are on My Gallery pic's..
I haven't see ClownBaby's...

SpudRacer 05-08-2007 12:11 PM

I spent a good 60 minutes trying to find a way into the interior without drilling or destroying. I ended up popping the wiring harness seal INTO the interior which runs through the firewall just under the battery. You have to crawl underneath to see it, it's behind the front inner plastic fender. I then wrapped the XM antenna wire with a couple layers of electrica tape, then popped the seal back in place. It pinches the antenna wire, but not enough to damage it, and it's working great. This would not work for anything over, say, 14 gauge.

Still looking for a better way, will look at the foam holes later when I wire the Painless Wiring 7-circuit fuse panel under the passenger dash.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

ClownBaby 05-08-2007 12:20 PM

Oh man! Crap....sorry I haven't been following the thread :naw:

Here's my link.... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/found-easy-wire-access-engine-bay-7299/

John L 05-08-2007 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by captsam54 (Post 73571)
Hi Guys...

If anyones interested in pictures, please go to "my" gallery, and you should be able to see pic's there..

Great find, I used it wiring up my CB the other day. If not for that, I would have had to use where I ran all the rest of my wire through, the unused clutch hole, and that would have meant extended wiring.

Thanks!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

captsam54 05-08-2007 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer (Post 80421)
I spent a good 60 minutes trying to find a way into the interior without drilling or destroying. I ended up popping the wiring harness seal INTO the interior which runs through the firewall just under the battery. You have to crawl underneath to see it, it's behind the front inner plastic fender. I then wrapped the XM antenna wire with a couple layers of electrica tape, then popped the seal back in place. It pinches the antenna wire, but not enough to damage it, and it's working great. This would not work for anything over, say, 14 gauge.

Still looking for a better way, will look at the foam holes later when I wire the Painless Wiring 7-circuit fuse panel under the passenger dash.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

I accidently popped out the wiring harness rubber plug when poking around for wiring access.. Made sure I put it back correctly so no water intrusion into the passenger footwell..

I like that painless wiring and will be doing that for future use.. Already ran the power thru to behing the glove box..