Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

size of hole to mount Firestick ??

Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default size of hole to mount Firestick ??

Im looking to make a mount in a hurry (spare tire) for my JK, Id like to mount a Firestick (the adjustable tip kind). Im gonna use some 1/4" x 1 1/2" alum flat stock and bend it 90 degrees at the top, what size hole do I need to mount the Firestick, 1/2"? I think I read the antenna has a 3/8 threaded shaft, but requires a 1/2" hole for the nylon insulator bushing? Can anyone verify this? Im very new to all this so just trying to do what I can. Im going away next weekend and want to got get the antenna Saturday to mount it and run the coax. Thank you,
Craig
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

From the FireStik website:

Nylon washers are a must for a dependable antenna stud mount installation. If you have a non-Firestik stud mount there is a good chance that it has inferior ABS insulators. If so, we recommend that you upgrade it! ABS has a tendancy to crack, or worse, to compresses under pressure. If allowed to compress, the tension that holds your coupling nut together dimenishes and the coupling nut can come loose ... sometimes causing the loss of your antenna. Each package contains eight (8) pieces. All have a 3/4" (19mm) diameter and are made specifically for 1/2" holes and 3/8" bolts (industry standard sizes). The kit contains three washers with a 0.031" (1mm) shoulder, three with a 0.125" (3mm) shoulder and two with a 0.195" (5mm)shoulder.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monkers
Im looking to make a mount in a hurry (spare tire) for my JK, Id like to mount a Firestick (the adjustable tip kind). Im gonna use some 1/4" x 1 1/2" alum flat stock and bend it 90 degrees at the top, what size hole do I need to mount the Firestick, 1/2"? I think I read the antenna has a 3/8 threaded shaft, but requires a 1/2" hole for the nylon insulator bushing? Can anyone verify this? Im very new to all this so just trying to do what I can. Im going away next weekend and want to got get the antenna Saturday to mount it and run the coax. Thank you,
Craig
I have mine on a teraflex mount. Antenna is screwed into a sping which is screwed into a quick disconnect which screws into a stud which passes through the mount to firewire. You just want to know what size hole for the stud (depends what you buy) or are you planning on threading the aluminum hole and screwing directly into that? Aluminum might not be so good unless you ground elsewhere?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just want to drill a hole in the alum bracket to put the stud of the antenna through, the first response says 1/2" hole to mount their antenna, gonna use the coax that looks like a ring where it mounts..
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

and yes I intend to run a ground wire from the mount bolt through the tailgate and ground to the subwoofer bolt like Ive read
Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monkers
I just want to drill a hole in the alum bracket to put the stud of the antenna through, the first response says 1/2" hole to mount their antenna, gonna use the coax that looks like a ring where it mounts..
1/2" would do it.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

thank you guys
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a couple write-ups that show to make a 3/8" hole for the antenna. Guess they got it wrong?

Quick Reply: size of hole to mount Firestick ??