Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

static with the cobra WX?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default static with the cobra WX?

I installed my CB but there is alot of static and non clarity in what does come through.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most problems occur from a bad ground on the antenna.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Make sure you have a plastic bushing between the top of antenna stud and the metal bracket. Any metal to metal contact will give you static and poor if any reception.

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	289502
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I'll take a pic. I found that the teraflex cb mount has holes larger then my firestik antenna and its mount adapter.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I'll take a pic. I found that the teraflex cb mount has holes larger then my firestik antenna and its mount adapter.
I just mounted my antenna to the tailgate, then checked for a ground....NOTHING. As said before, make sure the plastic bushing in on top side of your mount, isolating the antenna base from the mount/ground, and test the bracket and the coax connector area under the mount for the ground. If you don't find a ground,, that's probably your problem. The tailgates aren't grounded well, or at all, because of the Teflon style bushing inserts in the hinges. I ended up putting a ground wire onto the mounting bolt (after making sure it was bare metal, both the mount and bolt where the ring terminal would be touching, by scraping off the finish) and running it into the Jeep, under the carpet, and grounding it on the subwoofer mounting stud at the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-892444252.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	291032

Quick Reply: static with the cobra WX?