Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Stealthy, clean in-dash CB install

Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealthy, clean in-dash CB install

CB install taking up almost no cab space. Rig mounted under the seat, and display/controls as shown. Minimal number of holes drilled, can pretty much be undone if needed, but after 2 weeks or so of work off/on and lots of sweat, I'm leaving it as is, hoping it will last. Still need to find a good spot to hang the mike, currently tossed on the floor to left of the driver's seat.

Last edited by mostlystock; 04-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice Job what CB did you use behind the dash?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
Nice Job what CB did you use behind the dash?
It's a Cobra 25 LTD Classic, mounted under the driver's seat, attached to a large metal tab (factory JK) under the seat. I drilled two holes into the tab, and two new holes in the CB's factory bracket, and bolted the two together, suspending the CB from it all. All that's behind the dash are the channel rotary switch and two potentiometers (RF gain, and Vol/Squelch/On-Off), with the 7-segment LEDs mounted on a Rugged Ridge A-Pillar pod. I left the noise blanker, mic gain and bright/dim controls on the CB (won't use them much). The rotary controls just barely fit inside that on/off-road pod - and I do mean barely. Inside the on/off-road pod there is a JK factory circuit board that extends form the far left into the leftmost control (RF gain) area (just enough clearance though), while the two rightmost controls (Vol/Sql/On/Off, and channel switch) have a little more room, as the circuit board does not extend that far to the right. May do a writeup if there's interest.

Last edited by mostlystock; 04-30-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mostlystock

It's a Cobra 29 LTD Classic, mounted under the driver's seat, attached to a large metal tab (factory JK) under the seat. I drilled two holes into the tab, and two new holes in the CB's factory bracket, and bolted the two together, suspending the CB from it all. All that's behind the dash are the channel rotary switch and two potentiometers (RF gain, and Vol/Squelch/On-Off), with the 7-segment LEDs mounted on a Rugged Ridge A-Pillar pod. I left the noise blanker, mic gain and bright/dim controls on the CB (won't use them much). The rotary controls just barely fit inside that on/off-road pod - and I do mean barely. Inside the on/off-road pod there is a JK factory circuit board that extends form the far left into the leftmost control (RF gain) area (just enough clearance though), while the two rightmost controls (Vol/Sql/On/Off, and channel switch) have a little more room, as the circuit board does not extend that far to the right. May do a writeup if there's interest.
Interested!!!

Jeep - There is NO substitute!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Wow thats clean. I was thinking about doing something like that but didn't feel like running the extra wires. Good job. I was actually thinking of removing the face and doing a face only mount.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Great job! But how do the knobs on the dash work the radio? Are they the knobs off the radio and just wires run? Or are they separate knobs and the ones on the radio itself still work?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Genius .....
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

That sir is awesome! Very innovative.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts