Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Stud question

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stud question

Let me start by saying thank you for everyone's help and patience. I posted "testing coax" and you were all great with advice. While trying to track down the cause of my crazy high (6+) SWR, I decided to take another look at my antenna stud. It's a Wilson gumdrop type that I picked up at a truck stop. It's heavy duty 5/8" mount. I had to drill out my Arizona Rocky Road mount to fit it.
I'm posting pictures to help describe my questions. The pencil in the picture represents the metal Arizona Rocky Road mount attached to my Jeep.
When I test the stud I got a confusing result. With one probe of a meeter inside the base of the stud (where the center pin of the coax would go) and the other probe on the outside of the antenna stud (where the antenna screws in to), I have NO continuity. But with one probe inside the base of the stud (as before) and the other probe on the top of and INSIDE the antenna, making contact with a small gold stud inside the mount I HAVE continuity.
Is it normal for the outside TOP side of the mount to not share conductivity with the gold dot in the center of the mount? The dot I'm talking about can be seen in the last picture.
I wonder, is the gold dot on the inside top of the mount making contact when I screw in my antenna? If not, that would mean my antenna isn't getting any signal right? I have a Firestik II 4" antenna. Am I using the wrong mount? Is my mount faulty? If so, what replacement would you recommend with the large 5/8" hole?
Thanks,
Nathan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6089.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	34962   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6091.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	34963   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6092.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	34964   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6088.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	34965  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here...

now whats the question?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
Is it normal for the outside TOP side of the mount to not share conductivity with the gold dot in the center of the mount? The dot I'm talking about can be seen in the last picture.
I wonder, is the gold dot on the inside top of the mount making contact when I screw in my antenna? If not, that would mean my antenna isn't getting any signal right? I have a Firestik II 4" antenna. Am I using the wrong mount? Is my mount faulty? If so, what replacement would you recommend with the large 5/8" hole?
Thanks,
Nathan
I am not very familiar with that mount but it is probably good. I wouldn't say it is NORMAL for the center pin to be isolated from the threads but it is probably designed that way.

Either eyeball it or use a depth gauge. Does it look like the antenna threads are long enough to reach?

My firestik has some exposed metal at the base above the threads. Screw the antenna into the mount. Check continuity from the center pin to the base of the antenna. A short would be good.

If you don't see continuity your assumption is correct...your antenna would not be getting much signal. Adn doing this for a length of time may damage the radio itself.

Originally Posted by aggie sig
I'm here...

now whats the question?
And you,...Hush!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

I'm here...

now whats the question?
that's a good way for a newbie to be considered a troll........
Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

After much research, I'm confident that the mount has been my problem all along. The antenna is not seating deep enough in the mount to make contact with the gold post at the bottom of the mount. I'm getting a new mount shipped to me and will keep everyone posted on the result. Thanks, Nathan
Old 01-08-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

It is normal for the outside of the mount to not share conductivity with the gold dot in the center of the mount. the outside gets grounded to the Jeep via the antenna mountplate. Same as the coax cable. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

YES! I recieved my new stud from Firestik today, tested it and all is now well! Finally, my SWR readings are out of the red zone! My old Wilson mount wasn't making connection with the antenna even though the antenna was screwed firmly in place. My high SWR readings were because my "antenna" esentially didn't exist. All I had was coax and a mount. No wonder!
Thanks for all the help everyone
Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
Good to hear.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm here...

now whats the question?