Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

switched CB power

Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default switched CB power

I'm about 80% complete with my Cobra 75WXST install and basically just have to put power to the control box and solder the end to the coax and hook that up. The manual says to connect the power directly to the battery, but I'd rather have it switched with the ignition in case I forget to turn off the receiver. So, I haven't had much luck finding any info on how to do so

I figured I'd just use an add a circuit and tap into an empty slot in the fuse panel, but not sure on how much power it will be drawing and if that kosher or not. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as I would like to wrap this up tomorrow evening after work.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Here is a link to switched power. The taps are generally rated at about 10 amps. If you need more, use the switched source to control a relay.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

I've done this for having the power to the relays for my auxillary lights switched. Just wanted to know mainly if there are any drawbacks to the reception and whatnot for the CB or if this route would be good to go.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Oh, OK. I must have misinterpreted your post.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Oh, OK. I must have misinterpreted your post.
no prob. i appreciate the response
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my radios right to the battery.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The recommended install is drawing power straight from the battery, bypassing the vehicle's electrical distribution system. This prevents a multitude of potential problems. However, the main one with a low-current device - like a CB transceiver - is alternator whine and other electronic noise on your transmitted signal, which is annoying to listeners. Connecting to the battery prevents this, as it bypasses the alternator-fed system entirely. A high-current device, like a 50-watt-plus amateur radio transceiver, will draw too much amperage from the spare fuse location in the fuse block, but that shouldn't be a problem with your CB.

So give it a whirl. Test the install by having someone listen to your transmitted signal while you drive about. If your signal is noisy, you should really power the radio from the battery. I suspect you won't have a problem, though.

Cheers,

Bob

Quick Reply: switched CB power