Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Third Brake Light Flickers...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Brake Light Flickers...

I have a 4' Firestick mounted on the rear of my JK. Power for my CB is wired straight to the battery. When I talk on my CB with the lights on, the third brake light flickers. I never had this issue before with other CB's I mounted in the same fashion. Any ideas what may be causing the flickering??

Pic shows where my antenna is mounted in relationship to the third brake light...

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

It sounds to me like stray RF getting into the system and causing problems, "usually" upgrading your grounding with solve the problem...Maybe try running a ground off your antenna mount to the Jeeps frame first, but I see your antenna mount is mounted to the tub so I would think it would be grounded..

Has your radio been worked on by a CB shop ?? They may have cranked up the power so much that its bleeding all over everything....If so you might try one of these...Wrap your coax thru it as many times as you can and snap it shut...Place the choke as close to the back of you radio as you can, you may need more than one.....
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...ke%20Core&sr=1

Your local Radio Shack should have them in stock..
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I noticed when I was following behind High Roller (Highrlr) at EJS that his third break light was doing the same thing. At first he thought I was kidding him--but it was really there. You might PM him and see if and how he got it fixed.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, I had the radio peaked and tuned when i was driving cross country in 18 wheelers. I never noticed it on my TJ because I removed the third tail light so I could mount my antenna on the spare tire carrier.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Thanks for the replies.

Yep, I had the radio peaked and tuned when i was driving cross country in 18 wheelers. I never noticed it on my TJ because I removed the third tail light so I could mount my antenna on the spare tire carrier.
same here, I don't have a third brake light with the Fab Fours bumper and tire carrier..
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Problem solved... no third brake light.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light Flickers...