Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Took some pics of the FT 7800R install..

Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N2MWL
Doesn't it suck getting old ???

I'm 6'8 and 43 years old so I can relate when it comes to getting in tight places with these projects !!
Heck that makes me feel better at 6'4 and 39. With your wingspan you can reach the tool box from inside the jeep!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Heat can be a problem for sure. That's why they build in such huge heat sinks into these little radios. Sitting at idle it may be ok, but if you get into a long qso at full power, especially on a hot day, she may heat up pretty quick. They usually say not to put anything directly on top of a radio. It looks like it's pretty much tight up against the seat supports which doesn't allow for any air to circulate between it and the seat. I don't know if you have the room under the seat that would allow you to put any spacers between the the radio and the seat itself? I would think just a half inch or so would help quite a bit. If you don't want to mess with it now, just try and remember to reach under there from time to time during a qso and actually feel how warm the rig is getting.
Good Luck....

yeah, there is an inch or two from the top of the radio to the bottom of the seat....

I still have not gone out an worked on my SWR's, got caught up in Soprano re-runs !!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2MWL
yeah, there is an inch or two from the top of the radio to the bottom of the seat....

I still have not gone out an worked on my SWR's, got caught up in Soprano re-runs !!
With the Kenwood I've only experience a heat issue when running both tuners at 50w on a warm day. With the APRS dedicated tuner down at 5w i have yet to have a problem. I think the 7800 only has one tuner so you'll probably have less of an issue.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

What route did you take to run power from battery into the glove box. I am at that spot in my installation and would like to avoid drilling a hole into the firewall if possible. I'm not opposed to it, but that would mean finding a grommet. I like the idea of installing a power distribution in the glove box (or maybe behind the glove box). That will save a lot of trouble the next time you need power. Thanks for the idea of zip tie under passenger seat. Works great and there appears to be sufficient space for air circulation. Many great ideas on this site.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

If you go to the "Write Ups" section of Project-JK.com (not the forum) there is a write up about installing a Midland CB radio. It shows an easy way to run your power from the passenger-side interior through an easily-accessible hole in the fire wall and it comes out right next to the battery. That's how I figured out to run my power - it's really easy to do, and the write up and photos are excellent.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you very much. That is exactly where I was hoping to pop through. I mounted the antenna, the main body, ran all the wires to the remote head and just have to hook up power. I should be done in no time.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by utah-jk
If you go to the "Write Ups" section of Project-JK.com (not the forum) there is a write up about installing a Midland CB radio. It shows an easy way to run your power from the passenger-side interior through an easily-accessible hole in the fire wall and it comes out right next to the battery. That's how I figured out to run my power - it's really easy to do, and the write up and photos are excellent.
Thats what I did, here is the pic from the write up..I didn't ground to the firewall like it appears in the pic, my ground is direct to the battery..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
I mounted the Larsen glass mount antenna on the left rear quarter window and have used it with my Yaesu VX-6 HT. No problems. I haven't mounted the 7800 under the driver's seat yet because I was concerned about heat the unit may generate. Do any of you have experience with heat dissipation problems yet? It may not be a problem. Of course there may be an unintended benefit of a heated seat for those of you who live up north. Here in San Diego, a heated seat is not a feature that is sought after. I will connect the 7800 to a Diamond NR770HNMOB multi band antenna, and it is mounted to an Arizona Rocky Road mount that I have bolted to the spare tire carrier. In fact, this set up is in place with the coax coiled up under the rear seat, ready to go, at this point. The real show stopper for me has been, where to mount the remote head and the mic? When you have a GPS, CB and VX-6 all sitting around the dashboard, the addition of a bigger and better radio can look overwhelming. I have just about decided to only use the HT as a HT and to disconnect it electrically from the JK.

KI6VBQ
Having a new JK, Im trying to figure out where to mount a radio.
I v also got a VX6 and was wondering how you connect it to the radio.
Do you use an adaptor to go from the PL 259 to SMA?
Also, where do you put the radio when mobile?
I was considering using either the Cool Tech license bracket or a tailgate mount using a
Comet SBB224NMO for the antenna. Or mounting the antenna onto the front fender.
Thanks.

Last edited by donnie; 06-01-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by donnie
Having a new JK, Im trying to figure out where to mount a radio.
I v also got a VX6 and was wondering how you connect it to the radio.
Do you use an adaptor to go from the PL 259 to SMA?
Also, where do you put the radio when mobile?
I was considering using either the Cool Tech license bracket or a tailgate mount using a
Comet SBB224NMO for the antenna. Or mounting the antenna onto the front fender.
Thanks.
Hi Donnie, I have not used the glass mount Larson with an HT yet but I would think an adapter would work fine....Maybe give HRO a call I'm sure they could hook you up pretty easy..

I've read good reveiws on the Cool Tech have not tried it myself..

If your using a VX6R I'd just set it in the cup holder when not in use I guess..

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a VX7 I run mobile with a Larsen NMO 2/70 mounted on the drivers side fender. I modified a stainless NMO mount for a Dodge Pickup and have an adpater for the PL259 to SMA. This setup works great and on my '09 there is an even better hole plugged with a dynamat like tape to the left of the steering column. I can rest the HT comfotabley between the EBrake and the console and use the speaker mic or hook into the MYGig. When I get the extra bones I will probably go with a similar Yaesu setup myself and turn the HT back into strictly HT use.

Quick Reply: Took some pics of the FT 7800R install..