Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Want to hear for owners of arizona rockyroad antenna mount

Old 06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to hear for owners of arizona rockyroad antenna mount

HI
Any using the Arizona rockyroad antenna mount ? if so did you check the SWR ?

I have been unable to get a "good" swr reading on my comet sb-15 antenna, its a triband antenna. 440Mhz works the best at 1.5:1, 2meter gets 3.5:1 and 6meter gets 5:1.

The antenna looks good connected directly to the meter, the cable looks good fitted with a 50 ohm dummy load. I ran a heavy gage ground strap from the antenna mount to the tub of the jeep. So it might be the ground plane, wondering if the lack of metal directly under the antenna is causing the problem.

I have been told the 440MHz works best because the antenna is a 5/8 wavelength and that size is not critical of having ground plane. the 2 meter is 6/8 and 6 meter is 1/4...

thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

I am running it, but I haven't actually checked the SWR yet. I installed it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't used the radio yet. The SWR meter is sitting there in the center console ready to go though, probably do it this weekend.

Did you remove the paint/primer from the bottom of the antenna mount, and also where it bolts to the tire carrier? And did you use the washers they provided?

Those are the only 2 things I can think of, other than that, a pretty straight-forward install...

But I'll let you know how mine's doing as soon as I check the SWR.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Hi,
Yes I removed the paint from the top/bottom antenna mount hole and both sides of the mounting holes, I also discarded the factory bolts and installed steel/unpainted bolts. I used the included washers, I also ran a braided ground strap from the mounting bolts to the spare tire carrier and to the tub/body...
Thanks for the suggestions.....
Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I am using that mount with my Yaesu 7800 and a dual band Diamond
NR7700HNMOB antenna. Both the 2 meter and the 70 cm SWR readings are
lower than 2:1. As I understand things, working with a multi band HF antenna, is a real hassle in a vehicle. You might want to talk to folks in your local HAM club. In my HAM club, folks who run HF rigs use HF only transceivers and antennas. No dual or triple band radios or antennas. There may be a reason for that.

KI6VBQ
Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have two ARR antenna mounts one for VHF/UHF and one for HF. The grounding is very important. The HF is a Yaesu ATAS 100 Screwdriver antenna the works well on 40-20-15-10-6M. I have made mobile contacts throughout North and South America, Europe running only 100W. The VHF/UHF Larsen NMO mount antenna is doing OK. The SWR is higher with either top on, but still OK. Only SWR meter I have is built into FT-100, but it is less than 2:1 from 140-160 and 430-470 MHz top on (2-3 bars).

N4XGI
Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default swr fixed....

HI
I have solved my antenna woes....
I installed a comet ssb-5 dual band antenna, its 1/2 wave on 2m and and 5/8 X 2 on 440. As I understand it the 1/2 wave antenna is not quite dependent on a ground plane. My swr is now 1.2:1 across the 2M and 440 Ham bands...

Anyone going to the west coast JK meet ????
If so what freqs will you be using ???

Quick Reply: Want to hear for owners of arizona rockyroad antenna mount