Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Yaesu VX-8R!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yaesu VX-8R!

Just purchased a Yaesu VX-8R handheld from univeral radio today. It will be my first ever ham radio. Just got it to get my feet wet and see if I want to get a mobile unit in the JK. Can't wait for it to get here now!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

phouck,

I got my license a couple of months ago and looked at both the Yaesu VX-8 and VX-6. I decided that the VX-8 was too complicated for a "first radio." After spending several days loading in my frequency plan I was very glad that I selected the VX-6. BTW, the VX-6 is an unbelievable performer. I can't believe the range you can get with 5 watts. I selected the Yaesu 7800 for my first mobile radio. It was easier to load than the VX-6 but I am still in the process of installing it in my JK. Looks like I will be installing it under the driver's seat with the remote head on the center dashboard. Hope to have the install completed by this weekend. You are going to be very pleased with your VX-8. It is a super HT and is tough as nails.

73's,

KI6VBQ
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats very good to here. I was wondering about the range you can get with these radios, and it sounds like I won't be disappointed!

KC9LIT
Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the ICOM IC-92AD and it is surprising what 5 watts will do.
I know a guy with the same Yaesu and it is also very impressive.
Hook them up to an external antenna and you'll really be surprised.

My brother gave me a 2 meter linear amp for the Jeep, about 40 watts and since I have the GPS mike for the ICOM HT, I'm just going to go with the HT, amp and an external antenna for the Jeep.
Trying to come up with a bracket for mounting the HT, thought about the VersaMount style, but I'd use that for the speaker/GPS/mike(belt clip on back), and maybe a flat piece bolted to the console for the HT.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Don't forget.......all you need is an adaptor and you can use a regular external mobile antenna for increased performance over the rubber duckie. 5 watts is 5watts weather its from a handheld or mobile, so get the most out of it with an external antenna.
Plus....add a small VHF amp and maybe a speaker mic, and there ya go. A full fledged mobile won't have nothin' on you....!!! What's nice about a handheld is once you park the jeep and are ready to go for a hike, just reattach the rubber duckie, throw it in the daypack and you're ready for trail, camp, or mountain top communications.
Good Luck...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Smile

As far as which external antenna type to use with a HT, I have two installed on my JK and use both with my HT.

- Larsen Glass Mount Duel Band, which I have mounted to the left rear quarter window. I regularly work mountain top repeaters at a distance of 60 miles with this antenna coupled to my Yaesu VX-6. Reception is excellent when the vehicle is stopped, but there is a slight "warble" at speeds above 50 mph.
(cost at HRO: $85)

- I also have a Diamond NP-770H-NMO Dual Band permanently mounted to my spare tire rack via an Arizona Rocky Road mast which has the mounting pad at the level of the third brake light. HT performance is a little better than the Larsen Glass Mount and there is no "warble" at any road speed I have driven.
(I seldom exceed the speed limit) This is the antenna I will connect my 7800 to when I get it installed. A big advantage if the Diamond is that whip breaks down so it can lay flat, at 90 degrees to the base, so you don't have to remove it to drive into your garage.
(cost at HRO: Antenna with mounting hardware and cable $83. The mast from Arizona Rocky Road $27)
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the VX-8r. It's a nice sturdy small HT. The first thing I did though was change the stock antenna for an aftermarket one from HRO. Wow, what a difference. I especially like the fact that it is submersible up to 3 feet. I have tested that aspect of it, the other day I fell in the pool.

Oscar
KE5YYZ
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
- I also have a Diamond NP-770H-NMO Dual Band permanently mounted to my spare tire rack via an Arizona Rocky Road mast which has the mounting pad at the level of the third brake light. HT performance is a little better than the Larsen Glass Mount and there is no "warble" at any road speed I have driven.
(I seldom exceed the speed limit) This is the antenna I will connect my 7800 to when I get it installed. A big advantage if the Diamond is that whip breaks down so it can lay flat, at 90 degrees to the base, so you don't have to remove it to drive into your garage.
(cost at HRO: Antenna with mounting hardware and cable $83. The mast from Arizona Rocky Road $27)
How far does the Diamond Antenna stick up above the roof line with this mount?

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Smile

With the Arizona Rocky Road mast and the Diamond antenna, the whip is 80% above the roof line. In inches, that's about 32" (+/-)
Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

This sounds like the setup that I am looking for. I want a HT with connectors in my Jeep for external ant, amp, and power...
Going to a local place to talk to them and see what used stuff they have available.

Quick Reply: Yaesu VX-8R!