Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

08 JKU - musical dash lights...

Old 03-08-2024, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 JKU - musical dash lights...

Hey folks. So regarding the wife's 08 JKU - it's built big n bad and runs fine and wheels great...but in the process of it being built (before we got it) it presumably gained a couple annoying dash lights, which have all been on since we got it. Pics -

Naturally we're wanting to eliminate/defeat the pesky lights but my efforts thus far have been mostly thwarted, and it's time I ping the forum for some advice. Here's what's goin' on.

First, to recap, the engine/auto trans/t-case are all stock. It has ProRock 44 front with a lockout hub kit, and a ProRock 60 rear. Both axles have Grizzly (automatic) lockers, not selectables. All ABS sensors and computer are connected and presumed working.

The ABS, ESP/BAS, and TPM lights are all constant on. Cruise control does not function (...tho I would have swore it did when I test drove it...).

As you might imagine we don't need the ABS or ESP to function, and more specifically we'd just like the dash lights to remain permanently 'off'. The TPMS light is also on and that's because there are no sensors in the wheels - we routinely air down to 10 psi or so and we'd love to defeat that dash light too.

Defeat attempts.

Based on threads in this forum I attempted to defeat the ABS light by pulling the J6 and J7 fuses, but doing so not only left the ABS light on but also caused the CEL to come on (pic above) and the BRAKE light to come on (which went back off after reinstalling the fuses). Scan indicated U1110, with possible causes of CAN C BUS circuit open/shorted, Anti-lock brake module fault, PCM fault - no real help there. I had not scanned it before pulling the ABS fuses. The traction control light will often come on...which can be turned off via the dash button if I press it twice - the first attempt does nothing, but a second turns it off. It will however come back on down the road.

I tried two versions of 're-centering the steering', neither of which defeated the ESP/BAS light.

I was, however, successful at disabling the seal belt chime .

Otherwise, here I am, with the same lights as before plus the CEL. Would appreciate any advice on methods of defeating the ABS & ESP/BAS lights. I also posted this query in the build thread for more visibility and continuity.

Cheers

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 03-08-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so good news is the ABS, ESP-BAS, and Traction Contorl lights were all caused by a bad r-rear wheel speed sensor harness - put in a new one and the trio of lights are now off, and the cruise is working again .

Now to get the computer to ignore the lack of TPMS sensors...
Old 03-19-2024, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad-Max
so good news is the ABS, ESP-BAS, and Traction Contorl lights were all caused by a bad r-rear wheel speed sensor harness - put in a new one and the trio of lights are now off, and the cruise is working again .

Now to get the computer to ignore the lack of TPMS sensors...
Jscan turned the TPMS system off on my 21 JT. You could go to Jscan FB page and post up a message about turning it off.

Quick Reply: 08 JKU - musical dash lights...