Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

08 Manual Trans MYGIG-No DVD PIC

Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MYGIG is a POS. I sold mine after about a month. I installed a Kenwood DNX7100 deck and it sounds much better. It plays video while driving, has NAV, Bluetooth, and I can use an IPOD for a hard drive. The Ipod Classic IPOD will hold A LOT of movies and music. The Kenwood deck with all the add ons was a little more than the MYGIG, but I am SUPER happy now. IMO the MYGIG is a not worth $1600. The aftermarket stuff is stil better than stock and Im pretty sure it always will be.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kntr
The MYGIG is a POS. I sold mine after about a month. I installed a Kenwood DNX7100 deck and it sounds much better. It plays video while driving, has NAV, Bluetooth, and I can use an IPOD for a hard drive. The Ipod Classic IPOD will hold A LOT of movies and music. The Kenwood deck with all the add ons was a little more than the MYGIG, but I am SUPER happy now. IMO the MYGIG is a not worth $1600. The aftermarket stuff is stil better than stock and Im pretty sure it always will be.
I'm x2 on the kenwood. I have a KVT-819DVD. Garmin Add-on allows me to have navigation just like in nuvis... with a 7 inch screen. Also, add on an ipod and Ipod adapter... and whammo! Instant hard drive.

Best of all, I don't even need CD's or a USB cable to upload audio to the hard drive. If it's already on your computer, just plug your ipod in, and you're golden.

Of course, this doesn't really help you if you're trying to fix the my gig. I'd probably look into the lock picks if you want to keep it. But maybe selling the mygig on ebay and purchasing an aftermarket is an option?

Keep in mind, kenwoods are really the only brand which allows you to easily bypass the E-Brake (I use it for accessing the GPS on the go..... not for videos). I beleive Alpine head units and Pioneer head units involve considerable extra work to bypass the safety circuit.

Also, Kenwood's add on GPS doesn't require you to tap into the VSS, so it's a lot easier to install.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
Kind of annoying when people do that BIG lettering to get a point across isn't it
Not as annoying as people asking the same questions over and over and people answering the question with answers that really have nothing to do with what the person is asking.

It's obvious very view people actually read the replies so MAYBE by posting with large letters in a different color it MIGHT get some of those people to read it.

Your vehicle works the way it was intended to. It works the way the salespeople told all of us with manual transmissions that it should. Unfortunately the manufacturer decided to disable all MyGig DVD players video on 6 speeds ( or some people say they didn't do it on purpose, it's a software bug ), in either case... it doesn't work on a 2008 with a manual trans.

Last edited by davidwm71; 03-03-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Not as annoying as people asking the same questions over and over and people answering the question with answers that really have nothing to do with what the person is asking.

It's obvious very view people actually read the replies so MAYBE by posting with large letters in a different color it MIGHT get some of those people to read it.

Your vehicle works the way it was intended to. It works the way the salespeople told all of us with manual transmissions that it should. Unfortunately the manufacturer decided to disable all MyGig DVD players video on 6 speeds ( or some people say they didn't do it on purpose, it's a software bug ), in either case... it doesn't work on a 2008 with a manual trans.
Uhhh... be nice...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Uhhh... be nice...
I'm always nice.

Quick Reply: 08 Manual Trans MYGIG-No DVD PIC