Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

08 OEM Radio Failure

Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 OEM Radio Failure

I searched and found some units died and needed to be replaced by the dealer, some that came back to life and some that were a symptom of a battery nearing its end. My radio head unit stopped working last week, hasn't come back to life and the battery is still going, (though it is the OEM battery and I imagine it may be nearing its end anyway).
I checked the fuse and it is fine.

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default ditto

Mine did the same, battery is good. I checked the fuse under the hood M10 and it was fine however the manual says it was suppose to be a 20 but it was a 15 in the circuit??? How do you pull the radio to see if there is an online fuse?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure how to pull it yet, might try this weekend. Figure to start with the top plastic panel, pop it off then go from there.
I guess the next step is to replace the head unit with something. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine died a couple of weeks ago. I checked the usual suspects and everything was fine. I pulled the radio out and pressed all the connections on the back of the radio in a little (including antenna) and it started again.Not sure which was loose since the Jeep was off when I was working on it, but it did the trick. No problem since.

Pop the front portion of the top panel off. Use a screwdriver with a towel wrapped around it to keep from marring the dash and just pry up on the left and right side.Careful because the little metal clips will want to fall off and into the black hole behind your dash. Disconect the compass module and set it aside.

Pop off the lower panel on the center console.

You'll find 4 screws. Two near the bottom of the radio and two near the lower portion of the center console. You don't need to disconnect the window switches, You will have enough room to work.

From this point you can see how to pull the radio.

This is from memory so I may have missed something, but it's close enough to get you there. It's a pretty easy job, I'd say one out of five wrenches.

Last edited by H00LIGAN; 12-07-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Fixed!

H00LIGAN! Brilliant!
I have searched for a fix and have not seen what you posted. Tried it, 20 minutes later, problem solved. Thanks!
This forum is awesome.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked for ya.

Quick Reply: 08 OEM Radio Failure