Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

09 dealer installed Infinity upgrade stereo?

Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 dealer installed Infinity upgrade stereo?

Newb here and my first post to boot.

Just picked up my new 09 JK in Sunburst Orange last night. When I picked up the vehicle it was missing the upgrade Infinity stereo system. Single disc head unit with Sirius... but no Infinity system... arggh

Dealer is willing to make it right with me and make sure I get the upgraded Infinity system added to this vehicle. He thought the upgrade was the amp and sub (obviously) but he thought all the other speakers stay the same..???

So here is my question. When you upgrade to the Infinity system are you really only getting just a sub and amp and all the other speakers stay the same? or when you upgrade to the Infinity system you really get 6 upgraded speakers and the sub+ amp?

I'm assuming the amp not only runs the sub but also the 6 speakers.

I'm just trying to verify before I go back in today to make sure I know what I'm getting and not getting.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:03 AM
JK Junkie

Speakers are the same......I know cause I bought what I thought were Infinity sound speakers and they were the same as I already had

I ended up getting some polks and am very happy with the improved sound.

Last edited by BaltChief; 05-02-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:17 AM
J^2
JK Newbie

wow - so the "6 Infinity Speakers w/sub" is an extremely misleading statement.....
Old 05-02-2009, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

So the stock speakers are really the "Infinity" upgrade speakers.... interesting....

So I'm guessing to upgrade to the infinity system my dealer is going to install a new wiring harness from head unit to the new amp mounted under steering wheel, then the amp will power all 6 stock (Infinity) speakers and then they will add the sub in the back and the amp under the steering wheel will drive sub as well.

Does not surprise me at all.... for the cost I didn't really guess you would get all new speakers.

I will ask dealer when I go in today... sounds like, wire harness, amp and sub in the back and that's all they have to do...

anyone else have ideas or comments?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak to the 2009 model though the 2008 (mine) has: Standard and Premium. The Premium sound system comes with 6 Infinity speakers and one Infinity 8" Subwoofer for a total of 7 Infinity Speakers.

If that's not the case, please let me know, 'cause Jeep has some explaining to do. Their documentation is very clear, "Available on all models is a premium sound system that includes six Infinity speakers and 8 inch subwoofer with a 368-watt high-power amplifier."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2098848/2008-JEEP-WRANGLER
Page 25 is the quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

I have a PDF for parts breakdown for the 2008's. The part numbers for the speakers are the same for all stereos.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I also have the PDF parts and the speaker parts are different. RC9 Part numbers is Infinity option. RCG numbers are standard.

The sound bar, dash and tweeters all have different part #'s for standard vs. Infinity.

I would say there is no way you dealer can add it after the fact since the body wiring harness also has a unique part number for the RC9 (Infinity) Option. Your standard radio JK does not have the proper wiring. I'm in the same boat ... but bought mine off the lot. Why dealers don't add the $50 3.73 Ratio Axle and Inifintiy Sound system to all of their stock orders is beyond me. GRRRR ...

Last edited by dmhines; 05-02-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Spoke with dealer today and they are still checking.

Can anyone else verify?

Does anyone have a picture of the infinity sound bar speaker or dash speaker with the cover off so I can compare to the ones that I have? Or even better a picture of either speaker out so you can see the back?

They told me they could do it... I'm going to be livid if they cannot.

Again I have a 09 unlimited x with s package with sirius single disk sat radio... 4 door if that makes a dif....
Old 05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I marked the Infinity specific parts .... If they actually purchase and rerun the correct body harness just to get you the Infinity system .. that is one heck of a dealer!!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dmhines
I also have the PDF parts and the speaker parts are different. RC9 Part numbers is Infinity option. RCG numbers are standard.

The sound bar, dash and tweeters all have different part #'s for standard vs. Infinity.

I would say there is no way you dealer can add it after the fact since the body wiring harness also has a unique part number for the RC9 (Infinity) Option. Your standard radio JK does not have the proper wiring. I'm in the same boat ... but bought mine off the lot. Why dealers don't add the $50 3.73 Ratio Axle and Inifintiy Sound system to all of their stock orders is beyond me. GRRRR ...

That makes me wonder if mine was originaly designed for the premium system. Mine already had the wiring for the sub under the carpet. They did not have to run new wires.

Quick Reply: 09 dealer installed Infinity upgrade stereo?