Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

09 Radio replaced with an 08

Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 09 Radio replaced with an 08

I have a 2009 Rubicon with the SatelliteRadio/Nav unit which was promptly stolen at a Tamp Bay Rays game in my second week of ownership. I had the parts replaced at a dealer. When I got my Rubicon home my ipod cable that I had them install was not working. I tore the dash apart to check the radio and I found that they had replaced it with the 08 version of the radio. My question is, is there any reason a 2009 Rubicon would come with a 2008 version of the radio installed? I am trying to get my ducks in a row as I am expecting an argument with the dealership at some point in the next few days.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i know, only the 09 radios can control ipods. so if the ipod controls were working before it was stolen then it had an 09 radio in it. i dont know why the dealer would put an 08 model radio in it, unless they were ignorant or trying to pull a fast one on ya.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

I have the RES radio, I know they have 2 versions of programming it for the 08's. When I first got my Ipod/Uconnect kit it did not work. The dealer changed the code numbers by flashing it. The initial code was 5064411AD they changed it to 5064411AF and now it works fine.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

the RER cannot be flashed for the iPod.. its a hardware change from 08 - 09. thats why I got rid of my mygig..

the dealer needs to get you the proper radio
Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smbundy13
from what i know, only the 09 radios can control ipods. so if the ipod controls were working before it was stolen then it had an 09 radio in it. i dont know why the dealer would put an 08 model radio in it, unless they were ignorant or trying to pull a fast one on ya.

I didn't have the Ipod cable in until after the replacement. The only thing that I have to go on is the fact that the owners manual for the radio gives detailed instructions to run an ipod with the radio so I am assuming that they would not give that kind of instructions unless the radio had the ability to control an ipod. I am pretty sure the dealer is just plain ignorant. They did more damage to the dash replacing parts then the thief did while ripping them out. Had I known about this problem I would have made sure that they ordered the right part in the first place.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

You have now been robbed 3 times (at the time of vehicle purchase, at the game, and again at the stealership)!!!!

Here's what you do: (ToTaLlYcOnFuSeD's 7 Step program to deal with stealerships)

1) Take the jeep back to the stealership
2) Exit jeep
3) Ask to speak to the service manager
4) Promptly plant foot in a$$ of service manager
5) Wait for ambulance to assist with foot removal
6) Wait for the CORRECT radio to be installed
7) Once home, remove "debris" from shoe

Last edited by ToTaLlYcOnFuSeD; 05-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

You're justified in wanting the correct part. Essentially, the part they gave you was incomplete. I'm sure they didn't do it intentionally, but you need to bring to their attention that the MyGig from an 08 is physically different on the inside than the one from an 09.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep, take it back and make them replace it with the correct radio. The definitely got the wrong one in for you as the 08 models will not control the iPod. I spent much time looking for my 09 radio, so I'm intimately familiar with that.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

it was prolly a mistake
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Angry help!!!!!!!!!! JEEPERS UNITE

Okay I have been going round and round with the dealership on this and they keep telling me that they ordered the correct part. I just got off the phone with the Chrysler Customer "Service" A****LES. They are telling me that the service department installed the parts that I brought in. I tried to explain that I ordered the parts from the parts department that was 5 feet from the service department. What I need is hard facts. Everything that I have read tells me that the compatibility simply is not there for the ipod cable with the 2008 RER NAV radio. If anybody could help out with phone numbers or emails of people that I can contact to get this resolved. I am done with the dealership. I have gotten rochambeaued by Chrysler( and yes I brought up my tax dollars). I need facts that will stand up in court if it comes to that. Also if anybody knows the number of a good lawyer in the Virginia area (shouldn't be hard) I would appreciate it. I hope it doesn't come to that but I am not ruling out the possibility. I appreciate any help.

Quick Reply: 09 Radio replaced with an 08