Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2015 Jeep JK seems to cycle when idling

Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Jeep JK seems to cycle when idling

I could use some help understanding this. My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport has a strange idle rythm most of the time. It seems to feel like the engine works a bit every 10 ro 20 seconds or so. The RPMs actually do not drop but the LOAD % gauge does show a pick up. (the load gauge is off of the ODB2 plug which is run to my Pioneer HU). I did just install an amp, speakers and HU but I am not sure if this was an issue before the install or not....the Jeep is relatively new to me.

Could where I chose my ground (factory ground on the passenger side of the console)? It did have another small wire on it.

Anyway, I couldn't find a direct thread that dealt with this so I thought I would ask if anyone has seen this issue before.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jb123
I could use some help understanding this. My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport has a strange idle rythm most of the time. It seems to feel like the engine works a bit every 10 ro 20 seconds or so. The RPMs actually do not drop but the LOAD % gauge does show a pick up. (the load gauge is off of the ODB2 plug which is run to my Pioneer HU). I did just install an amp, speakers and HU but I am not sure if this was an issue before the install or not....the Jeep is relatively new to me.

Could where I chose my ground (factory ground on the passenger side of the console)? It did have another small wire on it.

Anyway, I couldn't find a direct thread that dealt with this so I thought I would ask if anyone has seen this issue before.
This post is confusing. I think you may not be getting a reply for this reason. So, here my attempt. When you say strange idle rhythm, are you referring to the sound of the engine? I'm assuming so since you mentioned no change in RPM. You also mentioned a load gauge... is the engine load or electrical load? Reason being you posted this in the electrical section so I'm just trying to understand the issue you're having. Without the amplifying info it's hard to say but you have a fan and an AC compressor (not likely up north this time of year) that cycle on and off which you maybe hearing.

-Brad
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would turn off all climate control stuff and see if it goes away. AC and defroster will both make the engine feel like it is cycling.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ac compressor will cycle on and off while the vehicle is running no matter what. From what im told it is to keep compressor oil and such moving through the AC system and to keep to keep it from just building up in the compressor.

Quick Reply: 2015 Jeep JK seems to cycle when idling