Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

3rd brake light wiring

Old 09-11-2021, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light wiring

Hello, I installed a spare tire delete kit and cut the wiring to the third brake light. I was installing a new 3rd brake light and it has the very basic 2 wires (red and the other is red with a black stripe). Before soldering I wanted to ensure I attached it correctly because for some reason I can't find a diagram of the two wires for the third brake light for my 2017 JKU. There is a black wire and a white with an orange stripe, seems obvious enough. I twisted the red and black to the white and orange and black to black to test the 3rd brake light but when I stepped on the brake, the led brake light didn't activate. So I tried twisting the opposite two wires together but still no activation. Not sure how I can test the brake light to ensure it works and that this isn't a wiring problem. Never had an issue with my third brake light on the spare tire carrier. But with only two possible options for this wiring im baffled. Any obvious ideas what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-11-2021, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

On my '13 it looks like my wires are black and white with a brown stripe (unless it's just really dirty and old). Anyhow, I have simple marker lights wired up as a 3rd light. they have a simple white and black wire. Oddly enough, have the black running to white/stripe and the white running to the black wire on the jeep. Not sure why one of the two things you're doing isn't working.
The following users liked this post:
3v3ryday3ric (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed the issue

Apparently I just didn't connect the wires properly. Went for it again this morning, twisted them together and had my daughter step on the brake pedal and it worked fine. So I soldered and heat shrunk it and it's working great. I did use a butt connector in stead of twisting it together to test it, so I assume i didn't crimp it properly...opps
Old 09-12-2021, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed the issue

Apparently I just didn't connect the wires properly. Went for it again this morning, twisted them together and had my daughter step on the brake pedal and it worked fine. So I soldered and heat shrunk it and it's working great. I did use a butt connector instead of twisting it together to test it the first time, so I assume I just didn't crimp it properly...opps
Old 09-13-2021, 04:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 3v3ryday3ric
Apparently I just didn't connect the wires properly. Went for it again this morning, twisted them together and had my daughter step on the brake pedal and it worked fine. So I soldered and heat shrunk it and it's working great. I did use a butt connector instead of twisting it together to test it the first time, so I assume I just didn't crimp it properly...opps
does your third brake light come on when you lock unlock the Jeep with the remote?

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light wiring