Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ABS Module HELP!!!

Old 07-24-2022, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry ABS Module HELP!!!

Hey all, new here but been scouring forums for months now trying to figure out this problem and I have yet to see a thread with the exact same issues I am facing. 2013 Wrangler Sport with 2.5" lift and 68k on it (yes steering wheel is centered and it drives straight). Sorry for the long-winded post, but I am on my whit's end with this problem. I have a Jeep guiding business and this vehicle is my money maker and I'm in the middle of my busy season, so every day I can't drive it I'm losing money!

I started getting the "brake" light on my dash occasionally when using cruise control going down the highway over the winter. When this occurred you'd have to hit the brake pedal extra hard to get cruise control to turn off and the ABS and traction control lights would come on and stay on until the vehicle was turned off. Lights would always be off when it was re-started. This evolved into all three of those lights coming on after hitting a bump off-roading, and then turning back off again after hitting another bump. Wasn't a huge concern until it started going into Limp Mode where the speedo would stop working and the tranny wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. At this point I started getting a CEL and was finally able to hook up my scan tool which resulted in U1110, U1120 and U0121 codes. I started by testing my battery and alternator (both good) and cleaning the terminals as well as checking all my ground connections under the hood and ensuring they were tight. (I was able to run ABS codes once btw and it did say "low battery voltage" but now it says it cannot connect the CAN network) My next move was taking the wheels off and inspecting the ball-joints, hubs and wiring of the wheel speed sensors. Hubs were tight, but the drivers side ball-joints do have a TINY bit of play (less than 1/16th) and I did notice the drivers front wheel speed sensor wire had a small nick in it. I replaced the sensor and cleaned the rear sensors. I also disconnect the ABS Module and gave it a good blast of electric parts cleaner. At the same time I disconnected the battery and touched the 2 terminals together to reset the system. This definitely helped, but the speedo would still flicker on and off when I hit a bump.

Next, I replaced the front passenger side wheel speed sensor. I also noticed that the ABS module wasn't actually bolted down like it's supposed to be...looks like someone cut out the part of the wheel well where the mounting bracket was supposed to go. So I rigged up a little bracket to keep it from flopping around in the engine compartment. VOILA! Problem fixed! Lasted for about a week (only issue was the "brake" light occasionally coming on with cruise control on. Then the other day 1 random bump turned all the lights on the dash back on and back into limp mode (I'll take this opportunity to remind you that I am literally wheeling this thing all day/every day, so this was 1 random minor bump out of thousands that I had put it thru without any issues all week) Then the lights when off and it came out of limp mode (but CEL stayed on) on the relatively smooth dirt road back into town and I was able to drive on the highway without issue. But then next time I started it the lights were back on and back into Limp Mode where it has stayed since. Pulling J6 and J7 fuses has no effect. I have checked the M37 fuse and its good.

Yesterday I replaced the rear wheel speed sensors and even the front hub assemblies along with another set off front wheel speed sensors for the heck of it with no luck.

Obviously this whole time I have suspected the ABS Module, but the issue is they are out of stock INDEFINTELY! I have scoured the internet trying to find one new or used with no luck. Due to the intermittent nature of the problem when hitting bumps makes me think it could just be a lose connection somewhere instead of the module being toast...haven't gotten the C2200 code either.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have a used ABS Module they'd sell me?
2. Any other things to try before replacing the ABS Module?
3. I read something on here last night about being able to test your various modules by checking the resistance thru the OBD port...anyone have more detailed info on this?
4. Is there anyway to bypass the ABS Module? In no way do I need or even want ABS, traction control or stability control! Does anyone make a chip that can turn it off and allow the rest of the vehicle to function normally?
5. If all else fails, would I be doing damage to the vehicle by guiding with it in limp mode? I'm fine off-roading in 4 Low 2nd gear...my issue is getting home on the highway in 2nd gear, but I could always figure out a way to leave it at the trailhead or something.

Appreciate your help! This is SOOOOO frustrating! I need this vehicle to make a living and not being able to drive it due to a silly computer is INSANE! Not to mention I'm still making payments on it!
Old 07-24-2022, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

U codes are to do with module to module communication via CANBus. Only remedy I know is to reset and re-establish the modules with WiTech which is the factory software. You are lucky as no in Canada seems to have WiTech except the dealers but down your way there are places that have that software. Find one of them and go tell them you need to reset all the modules in the Jeep and re-establish the CANBus network. I don't believe you have anything failed. And loose connections are a possibility but even if you get to someone with WiTech they will tell you which part of your network is faulty if that is the case.
The following users liked this post:
jjsjeeps (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sixty4x4! I'll call around to see if any of the local shops have that software, otherwise I'll get it towed to a dealership.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Abs

Hi JJS,
I replace my ABS module during my frantic chase of ABS and limp mode issues only to discover poor connections at the C300 and ABS molex connector. I still have issues now and then. The C300 is located behind the passenger side head light assembly. Beware that a new ABS must be flashed at the dealer. i just ordered cd CD manual from RockAuto that has the best wiring schematic. When it comes in I will let you know how good it is.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you ever make any headway? I finally got in the manual and it is in detail!!! Definitely recommend.
I think its not possible to use an old used ABS module. Can anyone confirm this? I do have my old one that I saved when i was troubleshooting my ABS issues.
Replacing the module didn't fig my issues!!!!

Quick Reply: ABS Module HELP!!!