Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding additional subwoofer with the stock Infinity?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding additional subwoofer with the stock Infinity?

I've been searching for a while now but I can't find anyone that has done this. I have the stock Infinity sound system with subwoofer and was thinking about adding another powered type sub such as the Kenwood KSC SW1.

Has anyone added a sub in addition to the stock Infinity sub? It seems to me you could tap the outputs for a line level converter and use RCA's to power the powered subwoofer and still keep the stock sub as well.

Any thoughts on doing this? I realize that most people have changed out the stock sub for a different one with a different amp but would this be a similar alternative?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't foresee any problems with what you propose unless the line level converter puts too much load on the stock subwoofer speaker leads.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sickchilly
I don't foresee any problems with what you propose unless the line level converter puts too much load on the stock subwoofer speaker leads.
If I use the leads coming off the front speakers then I shouldn't have to worry about the leads going to the stock sub, right?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sure, but then you'll be loading the fronts. Unless you're not using those anymore, it's the same difference. I doubt a line level converter adds significant load though.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

any more info on this...
I am thinking about this as well...

I dont want to put a full new system in. and i dont want a giant box permanently in the back. I go no doors most o the summer and dont want to worry about it.. i removable sub would be nice

Quick Reply: Adding additional subwoofer with the stock Infinity?