Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding backup camera to JKU

Old 08-12-2022, 10:38 AM
ksq
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding backup camera to JKU

Several years ago I added a backup camera to my 2015 JKU w/ 430N head unit. I ordered the parts from Amazon and had the dealer enable the camera function on the HU. Worked great. About a year later I upgraded the HU to a Pioneer. I am now giving my old 430N to a friend who's radio has stopped working on his JKU. So 2 questions:
1. When the camera function was enabled on the 430N is it retained in the head unit or is that a function of the computer? In other words, will it still work when we install it in my friend's Jeep.?

2. I have scoured Amazon but cannot find the parts I need in my order history. All I need is the camera and and the wiring harness right? I thinks these 2 items. Do I also need a cable to run from the camera to the dash?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...FTHNOgod1UgA0Q

TIA
Old 08-12-2022, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I imagine the function is built into the head unit and will still work--someone chime in who knows more specifically about these head units.

That cable you linked though seems to be for video outputs to a rear seat entertainment (RSE) system, I don't see video inputs on it which is what you'll need to plug the yellow RCA from the camera into.
The camera itself shows wiring to tap into power and to run all the way to the front with the yellow video signal so as long as there's a harness out there that gives a female RCA to plug into the head unit for camera input you shouldn't need another one.

Quick Reply: Adding backup camera to JKU