Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding Homelink to my 2013 - tap into the mirror wiring harness?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Homelink to my 2013 - tap into the mirror wiring harness?

I am adding Homelink to my 2013 JKUR and would love to be able to tap into the wiring for the auto-dimming mirror to power the Homelink. Anyone know the pinout on the mirror wiring harness on a 2013 with the auto-dimming mirror with the map lights?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fizzlenet
I am adding Homelink to my 2013 JKUR and would love to be able to tap into the wiring for the auto-dimming mirror to power the Homelink. Anyone know the pinout on the mirror wiring harness on a 2013 with the auto-dimming mirror with the map lights?

Thanks!
I don't know the answer to your question. But what I can add is that I added Homelink to my 2013 JKU Sahara. I bought a unit off ebay, programmed one of the buttons to my garage door. I then broke out the soldering iron and forced the switch to always be on. Then I wired it to a spare switch on my SPOD, waterproofed it and put it under the hood. Now I have Homelink from my SPOD.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I followed someone else's lead and put a small garage door transmitter under the roll bar cover. Same end result, just a much more simple solution.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RaleighDavid
I don't know the answer to your question. But what I can add is that I added Homelink to my 2013 JKU Sahara. I bought a unit off ebay, programmed one of the buttons to my garage door. I then broke out the soldering iron and forced the switch to always be on. Then I wired it to a spare switch on my SPOD, waterproofed it and put it under the hood. Now I have Homelink from my SPOD.
Hmmmm..... that's definitely an interesting idea. My goals for the homelink are have an always accessible button that is switched and the SPOD would do it. Do you have any photos? What do you use the rest of the SPOD for?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fizzlenet
Hmmmm..... that's definitely an interesting idea. My goals for the homelink are have an always accessible button that is switched and the SPOD would do it. Do you have any photos? What do you use the rest of the SPOD for?
Not trying to talk you out of this because it is a great idea...but two things to consider:

-If you don't already have and sPOD and don't intend on using the rest of the switches for other accessories it is costly just to open a garage door. (Not knocking the sPOD, I have one. Just don't buy it for that reason alone)

-From your comment you said you are looking for power that is "switched" implying that you don't want it to have power when the ignition is off. The sPOD is a direct connect to your battery and would allow the garage door to be opened even when the ignition is off, so if you need switched power for security purposes this may not be the setup for you.

Just somethings to think about...
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by toolow262
Not trying to talk you out of this because it is a great idea...but two things to consider:

-If you don't already have and sPOD and don't intend on using the rest of the switches for other accessories it is costly just to open a garage door. (Not knocking the sPOD, I have one. Just don't buy it for that reason alone)

-From your comment you said you are looking for power that is "switched" implying that you don't want it to have power when the ignition is off. The sPOD is a direct connect to your battery and would allow the garage door to be opened even when the ignition is off, so if you need switched power for security purposes this may not be the setup for you.

Just somethings to think about...
Thanks for the feedback. Yes - my main objective is just switched power so the Homelink is not active without the key in the "on" position.

Anyone know the wiring pinout for the mirror? I'd love to just tap into that if it is possible since it is switched.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a homelink install on my 2013 and tapped into the map light wires on the mirror. I just used a tester until I found the 12v wire and the ground wire.

It works great

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1392988128.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	494708
Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Here you go, just tapped into the wires for my radar detector.

YL/LB READING LAMPS DRIVER
BK/WT GROUND
WT/GY BACKUP LAMP FEED
YL/WT COURTESY LAMPS DRIVER
PK/YL FUSED IGNITION RUN CONTROL OUTPUT
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JRC27
Here you go, just tapped into the wires for my radar detector.

YL/LB READING LAMPS DRIVER
BK/WT GROUND
WT/GY BACKUP LAMP FEED
YL/WT COURTESY LAMPS DRIVER
PK/YL FUSED IGNITION RUN CONTROL OUTPUT
Excellent! Thanks!

Why would there be a BACKUP LAMP FEED to the mirror?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Very helpful!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
I did a homelink install on my 2013 and tapped into the map light wires on the mirror. I just used a tester until I found the 12v wire and the ground wire.

It works great

Attachment 494708
Excellent. Looks great!

Did you splice in somewhere inside the trim? Thats my thought.

Quick Reply: Adding Homelink to my 2013 - tap into the mirror wiring harness?