Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Additional rear lighting!!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional rear lighting!!

Helloooooooo!!

I recently purchased an '11 JKU Sport but, now it's time to mod. I'm looking to start with mods which are completely functional and hold a purpose for me as I won't be rock crawling or anything crazy like that. The first thing I really noticed was how poor the lighting was when I threw the rig into reverse. I found the Delta Tech Waterproof 260H Series Backup Light Kit and wanted to know if anyone had these or what they recommend!

The more pictures, the better!!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260004.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	234372

The little guys are made by Blazer (part# XT860) and I found my first two sets at Wally-World for $10 each (clearance). They come with 55 watt H3 bulbs, (swapped for 100 watters) and the seams need to be siliconed. I still need to move them, so I don't have to buy any more. The last set was bought on eBay for $20. They're 4 1/2" W x 1 1/2" H x 2 5/8" D, have glass lenses and metal bodies. They are one of the best mods I have done, but I wouldn't mount them very high up. My KC's suck as back-up lights, but are good work lights. If I had a stock bumper, I would simply cut out a 1.5" x 4.5" hole and flush mount them. I have them wired to come on with the back-up lights only, through a relay.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Can't go wrong with Wally World lights! I was thinking about throwing one pf my spare Hells 700's in the back for this same reason.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by my jk
Helloooooooo!!

I recently purchased an '11 JKU Sport but, now it's time to mod. I'm looking to start with mods which are completely functional and hold a purpose for me as I won't be rock crawling or anything crazy like that. The first thing I really noticed was how poor the lighting was when I threw the rig into reverse. I found the Delta Tech Waterproof 260H Series Backup Light Kit and wanted to know if anyone had these or what they recommend!

The more pictures, the better!!
Helloooooooo back at you and welcome to the forum. The reverse light mod is a good choice for "functional lighting mods". I have done this mod. And I have a couple more of functional mods that I could recommend to you. However, in the interest of staying on topic, just let me know if you want any more of my suggestions.
I haven't seen the lights that you are considering. But any additional lighting will be an improvement. I have been using cheepO wally-world lights. And I have been real pleased with the incandescent fixtures. I haven't been pleased with the LED fixtures.
Here is a night shot of the LED's

Sorry, I only have a daytime shot of the incandescents

Here is the wiring method that I recomend. It uses a 3 position switch. 1 position for automatic ( activate with the reverse lights ). 1 position for Always Off. And the last position for Manual ON.

This next schemattic uses a standard switch. But offers a little bit less control. The differance is that ther is no "Always Off" function.

Hope this gives you some good ideas.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello from the North. First off, I can't believe that Echo doesn't have a set of 100 watt reverse lights already! I did this mod on my 87 Comanche and it was the best thing ever. I used a set of 55 watt work lights, I think they were Hellas, on a simple on/off toggle with a relay. I cut the lights into the bumper, it worked very well. I need to do this to my 11 JK and I am considering all the options. Below the bumper, Rigid led on the license plate bracket, round work light inside the spare. It is a great excuse to buy a Gobi rack for mounting purposes, but that kind of blows the budget for other stuff! Whatever you wind up with, it will be worth the work.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Helloooooooo back at you and welcome to the forum. The reverse light mod is a good choice for "functional lighting mods". I have done this mod. And I have a couple more of functional mods that I could recommend to you. However, in the interest of staying on topic, just let me know if you want any more of my suggestions.
I haven't seen the lights that you are considering. But any additional lighting will be an improvement. I have been using cheepO wally-world lights. And I have been real pleased with the incandescent fixtures. I haven't been pleased with the LED fixtures.
Here is a night shot of the LED's

Sorry, I only have a daytime shot of the incandescents

Here is the wiring method that I recomend. It uses a 3 position switch. 1 position for automatic ( activate with the reverse lights ). 1 position for Always Off. And the last position for Manual ON.

This next schemattic uses a standard switch. But offers a little bit less control. The differance is that ther is no "Always Off" function.

Hope this gives you some good ideas.

Great write up and NICE diagrams, I was just curious if you have ever considered using one fuse to terminal 86 and using the switch to apply the ground circuit to the relay?
just a thought, do you think that would work? good ? bad?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Nice idea, now time for me to design rear lights into my rear bumper...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawJK
Great write up and NICE diagrams, I was just curious if you have ever considered using one fuse to terminal 86 and using the switch to apply the ground circuit to the relay?
just a thought, do you think that would work? good ? bad?
Either method works fine. Even if you switched the negative, you still need a positive on the other side of the relay. Therefore, you still need a fuse on that circuit. So the argument that switching the negative is better doesn't fly with me. You still need a positive and a negative to make the system work. And you still need a fuse to protect the system. My training is mostly in positive control. So I prefer switching the positive side of the circuit.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Either method works fine. Even if you switched the negative, you still need a positive on the other side of the relay. Therefore, you still need a fuse on that circuit. So the argument that switching the negative is better doesn't fly with me. You still need a positive and a negative to make the system work. And you still need a fuse to protect the system. My training is mostly in positive control. So I prefer switching the positive side of the circuit.
Cool. I was just wondering

Sent from my iPhone
Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

@ JK-Ford

Originally Posted by OutlawJK
Great write up and NICE diagrams
x2!!

I was going to go with the Delta 260H series but, hearing about how pleased people are with the wally world mods, I believe I will go that route! Plus, it keeps some money in the bank for more mod spending!

I have a couple more of functional mods that I could recommend to you.
I've already installed one... Hoist a prego wife mod a.k.a. grab handles

Quick Reply: Additional rear lighting!!