Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

After market head unit for hands free calling

Old 12-29-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market head unit for hands free calling

I have a 2010 2-door with soft top and I am looking to replace the factory radio with something that has blue tooth so I can make hands free calls in my Jeep. What have people had success with as far as where to place the microphone, which brands have better mics or which to avoid or is this something that just isn't going to work in a soft top?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a softtop, but a 15 JKU hardtop. Pioneer 4100nex. Bluetooth works great, mic is double side taped to stearing column. The higher I mounted it the more background and road noise it picked up, so it is right behind steering wheel. (Better than the factory pillar location.) Expensive head unit but I love it. Apple car play compatible can charge phone and run gps through phone.

The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (12-30-2017)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a Kenwood KMM-BT322U head unit. It is a digital media unit but I haven’t listened to a CD in years. I mounted the mic on the top of the dash by the Daystar Dash Tray. I tried a couple of spots but This location is what my wife said sounded best on the receiving end of a phone call on the highway with the soft top up. It is still winter here in Northern Minnesota so it will be a while before the top is down to see if it still works.

Quick Reply: After market head unit for hands free calling