Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket Head Unit Install Issues

Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Head Unit Install Issues

So I purchased a Pioneer head unit from an online vendor and they also sold me the PAC C2R-CHY4 cable to connect the head unit to the factory harness. I do not have the Infinity system but, after wiring up the PAC cable, connecting the head unit and factory harness the radio does not power up.

If i install the stock radio back it will power up and work. This tells me that the fuses are okay.

Does anyone have any tips on what i can do to troubleshoot this? I called the online vendor and since my truck is a 2009 they are not able to help me and told me to call PAC Audio (Which does not open until Monday).
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

check the fuses on the pioneer radio,usually there is a fuse on the backside of the radio where the pioneer harness plugs into the radio. if not ,most likely there is a problem with the radio.good luck
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not familiar with the PAC but the Metra instructions said to turn key to Accessory position for 30 seconds. I guess it has to initialize the interface. After that I turned the key off and then on again. It worked after that.

My H/U had a fuse on it in addition to the Jeep fuse.

Also Remove the H/U but connect the wiring harness to the factory connector. Turn the key On or to Accessory. Use a voltmeter and check the Red and Yellow out of the module. They should both go to 12VDC. Remove the key and open the drivers door. Yellow shoudl stay at 12VDC and Red should drop to 0VDC.

If the Red and Yellow aren't correct you have a bad harness. If they are as described above you have a bad H/U.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after much banging of my head and mashing of teeth I determined what the issue was (this is what I get for trying to do this after a long day at work). I had the PAC ECU plugged into the SWC part of the harness and not the CANBUS side.

I now have my head unit and XM receiver installed. If I had the right screws I would have also had my CB installed as well. Oh well there is tomorrow night or next weekend for that.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Unit Install Issues