Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket navigation options for upgrading infinity system

Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limbo

Yeah, I based my decision on the same information, superior navigation system and detachable face. Its no longer the "perfect" system for me and I'm debating about what I'm going to do. Crutchfield is being as helpful as they can, but it is the Infinity amplifier that is the problem, it only has two inputs and then does its own fade processing and there is no aftermarket fix for it. I was wrong about the movies, almost all aftermarket dvd players output in stereo, a couple have an add-on digital processor you can get, so that is really a non issue. I'm spoiled by our other vehicle, a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring with fully integrated Nav / Dvd / rear cam / bluetooth system that has Dolby Digital movie watching - it sounds almost a great as my home theater.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

I am surprised you can't fade with a high end nav unit like that, I wonder how hard it would be to integrate a aftermarket amp in place of the infinity to control the infinity setup. I'd love to get a JL amp in the Jeep to power the system.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New Problem

So I decided to just wire the JVC up and see if I could live without the fade. Spend hours trying to make it fit thinking I wasn't pushing all the wires, harnesses, and modules out of the way enough and then realized that this unit is about 1/2" taller than will fit. It is mostly plastic blocking it but I'm not sure aobut cutting it all, Ithink it may affect strength of the brackets if I cut the spot.

On a side note, it will look awesome in Dash but the way it fits, you cannot reach the face detach button without some sort of flat pry bar or screw driver, making it impractical to detach.

I'm about to just return it all and go the MyGig route.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

I've seen the Mygig have quite a few issues as well plus I really don't want to give thieves one more reason to break into the Jeep and it's about the only unit that has a detachable face. I thought the only thing that needed to be cut was a metal bar towards the back of the compartment.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

I bumped up a thread called my system I think, seems like another member installed their NX 7000 unit. I called crutchfield and their still saying only one crossmember needs to be cut. Do you have any photos of the issue?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Update, there is a writeup for a JVC nav install, I did a search for it in the writeup section, not sure how to post threads, but I bumped it to the top if you want to check it out.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Started my nav install tonight, got all of the panels removed, the old radio out and the cross member cut out so it fits properly. Pretty easy so far, I'll wire up the harness tonight and install tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

After reading the other thread and the posts here, I decided to go ahead with the JVC install. Cut the brace out and managed to make everything fit. I put the XMDirect2 and the Bluetooth adapter behind the glove box (it pulls right out and there are lots of places in there). I installed the satellite antenna (magnetic) on the main overhead crossbar directly above the dome light. It gets just as good, if not better signal than the stock xm in our Honda Pilot. I put the mic in the plastic hood (as shown on another thread) and it looks factory installed, BUT I think it is getting too much road noise and vibration from being installled there, everyone complains about the noise.

This unit is pretty sweet and the detachable feature is awesome. It always impresses people how it folds out. All that is left to do is the rearview camera.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Glad you are happy with it, I have mine in now and am also happy with it, had an issue with wiring (my fault) but it's fixed now and sounds amazing, really woke up the stock speakers, can't wit till I replace them with JL speakers and add an amp someday. I cut out some of the top as well to make it MUCH easier to fit the wires behind the radio, you could never tell with the top dash panel on.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Default Cannot fit my unit in dash,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HELP!

Originally Posted by tencntraze
I just got my new 09 Rubicon on Tuesday in yellow and I really love it, but I know that I'm going to want to add some sort of GPS functionality at some point. Additionally, while the infinity system does indeed sound good for a stock system, it doesn't really have the clarify and punch that I want, particularly at the low end. I want to start planning out my upgrade options so that I can budget the appropriate amount of money for when I decide to take action. The way I view it I have a couple options:

1) Head unit w/ built-in GPS

Pros:
-Doesn't take up additional space on the dash
-Looks pretty cool
-Many models seem to have some pretty nice features in addition to the GPS
-Maintain the display size so that I can see details of what I'm listening to (as opposed to a single-DIN head unit)

Cons:
-It's in a Wrangler, and unless I missed a model that has a detachable face plate, these will be pretty appealing to steal.

2) Head unit and external GPS

Pros:
-GPS can be hidden to reduce theft potential

Cons:
-Have to have the extra unit mounted on the dash to use it.
-Lack of display screen size to see music/satellite information

What I'm really looking to do is maintain the ability to use Sirius radio (dunno if any sort of hoops need to be jumped through to put the factory account onto a new head unit). The double-DIN head units really appeal to me because I like to see a bunch of information about what I'm listening to and I don't like having wires and stuff run through the car.
I thought that I would post this here. I ordered the Clarion NX409 (the full size screen, not the pop up one). Took everything apart, attached wires, only to find out that there is a metal bracket that has four "arms" sticking out that will not allow the unit to be installed. My husband said that he draws the line at cutting this bracket, as it is an important integrity spot for the dash. What full size unit is left with or without a NAV system (double DIN) that will fit in this Jeep (an 'o7),,,,I am heartbroken, as I cannot install it now. Can anybody offer help?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket navigation options for upgrading infinity system