Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket remote start and check engine light?

Old 11-20-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket remote start and check engine light?

Hello everyone this is my first post and before I jump the gun and install a compustar remote start and drone I'm curious if anyone has done this combo. I have a 2008 jeep wrangler jku auto and it has the oem remote start. Unfortunately I get a check engine light for low voltage headlights as I have led aftermarket ones installed as well as a catalytic inverter in efficiency p0430 code.

I'd like to know if installing an aftermarket alarm combo with remote start if anyone has experience with this as will the remote start still work having the cel light on? Any input would be appreciated

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

My experience is a little different but with an alarm/ remote start combo (no factory options) I have not experienced any check engine lights.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
My experience is a little different but with an alarm/ remote start combo (no factory options) I have not experienced any check engine lights.
Hi I didn't mean I was getting the cel light from the remote start I was wondering if I installed an aftermarket remote start combo of it will bypass the stupid cel light as the oem remote start won't start with the cel light on
Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ah. Yes, I'd imagine it would because the aftermarket units only look at transmission gear placement and the ignition source. They're not in the computer analyzing what codes there are or why they're present.

I'm surprised a catalyst inefficiency and headlight voltage code would interrupt the factory remote start though. Maybe it's a 'feature' to get you to the dealer??
Old 11-20-2019, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Ah. Yes, I'd imagine it would because the aftermarket units only look at transmission gear placement and the ignition source. They're not in the computer analyzing what codes there are or why they're present.

I'm surprised a catalyst inefficiency and headlight voltage code would interrupt the factory remote start though. Maybe it's a 'feature' to get you to the dealer??
I'm not sure but I don't think it's those things specifically but I just think anytime the cel is on it stops the auto start sequence

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start and check engine light?