Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Airbag light is driving me CRAZY!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fix and Play

But, for the clock spring, is it an issue with the oem spring? Is there an aftermarket (if there even is an aftermarket spring) that you would recommend?
It's not a spring, it's a coil of wire wound one way and the wound the oposite way ( 2 loops inside ) to allow the wheel to spin. As far as I know there are no aftermarket ones avaiable or made. Your at the mercy of the dealer for the part, you can change it yourself, as I just clips in.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go figure. This just started happening today and is very annoying. I have a 2010 6-spd, JKUR w/ just shy of 50K miles on it. So it's out of warranty. Every time I turn right and the wheel is recentering back to straight the light goes out and 5 seconds later "DING!".

I'm sure the stealerships are going to charge an arm and a leg to fix the clockspring (which I'm sure is just a few bucks). How hard is this to fix myself? I'm a bit hesitant to take my steering wheel off. Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I want to know how you got jeep to pay for it as well. When I went in and told them that it is the clock spring for sure, they essentially have me the finger and an estimate of close to $500 to fix it. Did you call jeep direct or deal with the dealership?

And thank you for posting that link so I can file a complaint. I will do that later on today.
No worries man. Just trying to make it easy for people to provide the information required for a recall investigation. You just gotta give the corporate overlords a shove back in the right direction, and with the numbers on your side it usually works.

Good luck with the repairs.

Last edited by zeppo; 03-31-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

The clock spring itself I see anywhere from $200 - $250 and the dealership told me another $200 - $250 for labor. A previous post however made it seem quite easy. Pull steering wheel, undo some wires and replace.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dlud51

Can you please tell me exactly what you said to Jeep? How did you get them to pay for it? I spoke with them yesterday & they basically told me nothing we can do.
Well when I called they pretty much told me the same thing. However when I asked there Facebook page if anyone has had a similar problem/ how much it cost to fix. They sent me a msg and asks me a few questions. I answered and they called me in a few days to let me know they where gonna send a check!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The clock spring itself I see anywhere from $200 - $250 and the dealership told me another $200 - $250 for labor. A previous post however made it seem quite easy. Pull steering wheel, undo some wires and replace.
Thanks, I think that's the most expensive spring I've heard of. I think I'm going to attempt to contact Jeep as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hinkley (now Salt Lake Valley) Jeep is repairing mine for $450. Talk to Larry in the Service. (I decided to let them repair it so I could submit for reimbursement if 08 JKs are recalled).

Jeep customer rep (877-426-5337) said that unless the NHTSA specifically requires the recall, it won't happen -- think that takes 160 reported instances before NHTSA would consider doing that.

So, we need anyone to file a NHTSA safety complaint so the other year groups are recalled as well. Here's the link again to file: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Mine started today. 08 2 door with 51000 miles. submited my complaint to above link. Lets see if a gov't entity actually does something right for a change.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

'07 61K - Started today with the airbag light, cruise has been spotty for a while too.

Form completed. Thanks for the info gents.

Quick Reply: Airbag light is driving me CRAZY!